Is Crohn's Disease a Contraindication for Zeltiq?

Hello, I am a 47 year old woman considering Zeltiq (CoolSculpting)for lower abdomen and love handles. I am very slim (5'6, 120 lbs) and very fit. I have Crohn's Disease (in full remission over 5 years)and am worried about all patients who have abdominal pain and cramping etc. post-procedure. Is this normal and is Crohn's Disease contraindicated? Thank you for your assistance.

Contraindication to CoolSculpting

+1

There hasn't been any documentation that shows Crohne's Disease to be a contraindication to having CoolSculpting.  The abdominal pain and possible cramping after the procedure are limited to the area treated and are self limiting.  I would recommend that your doctor communicate with your GI doctor to make sure all is well prior to having the CoolSculpting.

Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/cool-sculpting.htm

CoolSculpting for fat reduction and Crohns disease

+1

As the Zeltiq CoolSculpting is targeting the fat above the muscle wall of the abdomen, unless you have had surgery with weak scars on the skin's abdomen, or colostomies (openings from the intestines to the skin of the stomach), there shouldn't be a problem with having the Zeltiq.  IF you are having pain though from the Crohns, and it hurts to just touch the stomach's skin because of referred pain, then the negative suction of the CoolSculpting could make the treatmetn unbearable for you.  You should definitely have your physician who is planning to do the CoolSculpting treatment discuss it with your gastroenterologist to get clearance should there be any concern.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

Coolsculpting and Chrohn's disease

+1

Currently there is no contraindication between Chrohn's disease and Coolsculpting. The abdominal pain is a neuropathic pain that really is localized to the fat, dermis and potentially epidermis versus no affect on the intestines. However, before treating I would advise that you discuss with your physician further.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon