Straightened and Hump Removal, Then Broke My Nose? (photo)

Ihad a big nose with a hump, On December 2012 I went through rhinoplasty.My PS did a great job in straightening my nose and get rid of the hump, but I wasn't happy with my tip since it became wider and also the size. I just felt he could have done more.Just yesterday I fainted in the bathroom and fell in the bathtub and broke my nose :(. They did a scan at the ER and said it's broken.Now that I have to straighten it,my question is can a Dr straight my nose and make it smaller at the same time?

Straightened and Hump Removal, Then Broke My Nose?

From the photo provided, it does appear that the nasal bones are deviated indicating a nasal fracture.  Revision Rhinoplasty to straighten out the nasal fracture as well as thin the nasal tip could be achieved.

You need to discuss with your surgeon if he/she will do additional "tip" work when the fracture is reset. I might but I have NOT examined you in person. 

Status Post Rhinoplasty Then Fractured Nose

I would agree with the other authors.  You may require a reduction of the nasal fracture but I would hold off on doing any revision of the rest of your nose until the swelling has resolved.  

Michael Sundine, MD

Wait at least six months to do revision rhinoplasty.

Hi.

1)  Your broken nose should be fixed in the next few days.

2)  I would leave your tip alone for quite a while, because you still have a lot of swelling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Nasal fracture and tip

You nasal fracture can be reduced now and this is often pretty straightforward. As for the tip it is still early and you  may want to let it settle for several  more months.

Breaking Nose 4 Months Post Rhinoplasty

Your surgeon can do a minor procedure to re-straighten your nose. Hoewever, I suggest you wait 6-8 months to revise your tip because it may improve as swelling from your original procedure decreases, which it will.

Trauma to nose after rhinoplasty

Dear Bad luck, Since your original rhinoplasty was done in December and you are approximately four months post rhinoplasty I would wait in having any work done on the tip of the nose. Your original treating surgeon can perform the simple procedure to straighten your nose from the recent fracture and then I would suggest giving your nose the full year to heal before addressing any revision surgery on the tip. The tip is the final part of the nose for the swelling to dissipate and especially in a male patient who has a tendency for thicker skin. You do not want to address a revision procedure until allowing the nose the time to heal properly. I would suggest returning to your original surgeon for a discussion and diagnosis. Bring your scan from the ER with you. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty in December 2012 and Recent Trauma

Given the short interval between your rhinoplasty and trauma and the fact that you are early after your original rhinoplasty, I would wait for several months before considering revision.  The tip complaint may not be an issue after a year as the tip swelling is the last to resolve.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA