Will I need to have a blood test done as part of evaluation to help determine if I'm a good fit for a facelift operation?

What other things will be done in a consulation? What Criteria Will a Doctor Use to Evaluate if I'm a Candidate for a Facelift?

Blood Work for Facelift not Necessary

There is no specific bloodwork needed for a facelift.  However, if  your medical screening process indicates that you need a blood test for your general health, then it is a good idea, if not mandatory, to get this test prior to the surgery.  So, if a healthy 40 year old patient needed a facelift, or a "mini-facelift" more likely, I would not get any lab work.  However, just about everybody over 60 will require some screening studies which hopefully has already been performed if they have seen their doctor in the last 6 months or so.  These tests would suffice unless there is some specific condition which needs investigation.

Pre-Operative Evaluation for a Facelift

In general, cosmetic surgery can and should only be done in patients that are deemed healthy enough to have these elective operative procedures. Therefore, if a patient has healthcare problems they need to be fully evaluated by a physician as we want our patients to do well. It is imperative, as a physician, to be safe and undertake elective surgery only if the patient is healthy and can undergo the procedure.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Tests to determine if you are a candidae for a Facelift

Each surgeon has a different set of criteria to determine if a patient is a candidate for surgery.  A CBC is a minimum and a medical clearance including an EKG is appropriate depending on the history of the patient and the expected surgical approach. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Blood test before facelift operation

As long as you are in good health, don’t smoke, don’t have high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease, diabetes, or a heart condition, then blood tests are not likely to provide any useful information.  If in doubt check with your primary care provider.

Sam Naficy, MD

Criteria for Facelift

Generally speaking, the most important criteria for consideration of a facelift is whether the individual is active and healthy and what medication regime the patient is on.  Blood tests are helpful tools usually as establishing a baseline for electrolytes, serum glucose, renal function, and hemoglobin levels.  Likewise, a preoperative EKG will act more as a starting baseline than as exclusionary criteria in an active healthy adult.  Most patients who seek Facelift surgery are age 50 and up and have an established a health history.  Probably the greatest challenge for patients in this age range is hypertension, which must be controlled prior to the surgical date.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood test/ good fit for a facelift

Blood tests will be done, possibly with an EKG to see if you are in good health for a facelift and anesthesia. Whether you are a good fit for a facelift is determined by a plastic surgeon and depends on if a facelift will address the problems that you are concerned with.

Facelift - Will I need to have a blood test done as part of evaluation to help determine if I'm a good fit for a facelift operat

Yes, maybe and no!  Blood tests are often done prior to a facelift, but it's not so much as part of the evaluation as to make sure that your overall health will allow you to undergo the surgical procedure you'll be having.  The decision on whether or not you're a good fit incorporates whether or not you're "fit" enough, but it's not the same thing.  Selecting the right procedure is a question of anatomy (which procedures will "work" on you), comfort (are you willing and healthy enough to undergo the procedures being recommended for you) and practical aspects (finances, recovery, etc).  The Plastic Surgery Bottom Line:  Blood (and other) tests are often done prior to surgery, including a facelift, but that is primarily to make sure that your overall medical health is likely to be able to tolerate the surgery being proposed.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Blood Tests and Facelifts

Most patients undergoing a facelift are over forty or fifty years old.  In my practice, I request routine blood work (including a CBC and BMP), a chest x-ray, and EKG for ALL patients over forty years old who will be having elective surgery.  This workup does not establish suitability for a specific procedure, but rather confirms a general good health.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Facelift Specialist in Tampa, FL

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, FL

Jaime Perez, MD

Pre-surgery lab test requirements for facelift

Most physicians do not perform blood tests unless there is an overriding medical condition, such as patients taking diuretics and require a potassium level.  Anemic patients may require a blood test to make sure they are not currently anemic prior to undergoing this type of surgery.  Most patients over 55 will require an EKG.  Make sure that there are no other overriding health conditions that may preclude someone from having a facelift, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and other healing issues.  

Preoperative lab test requirements

Outpatient as well as hospitals have established guidelines for preoperative lab test requirements.  This is primarily to be sure the patients are healthy  leading up to surgery.  Age and medical preconditions  will dictate which lab tests should be ordered.  For younger patients there may be few tests required.  Be aware that this is not a surgeon's requirement, although we always want to know that our patientsare healthy before surgery.  Your Plastic Surgeon will give you guidance about this.