Will I need to have a blood test done as part of evaluation to help determine if I'm a good fit for a facelift operation?

What other things will be done in a consulation? What Criteria Will a Doctor Use to Evaluate if I'm a Candidate for a Facelift?

Pre-Operative Evaluation for a Facelift

+1

In general, cosmetic surgery can and should only be done in patients that are deemed healthy enough to have these elective operative procedures. Therefore, if a patient has healthcare problems they need to be fully evaluated by a physician as we want our patients to do well. It is imperative, as a physician, to be safe and undertake elective surgery only if the patient is healthy and can undergo the procedure.

Tests to determine if you are a candidae for a Facelift

+1

Each surgeon has a different set of criteria to determine if a patient is a candidate for surgery.  A CBC is a minimum and a medical clearance including an EKG is appropriate depending on the history of the patient and the expected surgical approach. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Blood test before facelift operation

+1

As long as you are in good health, don’t smoke, don’t have high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease, diabetes, or a heart condition, then blood tests are not likely to provide any useful information.  If in doubt check with your primary care provider.

Sam Naficy, MD

Criteria for Facelift

+1

Generally speaking, the most important criteria for consideration of a facelift is whether the individual is active and healthy and what medication regime the patient is on.  Blood tests are helpful tools usually as establishing a baseline for electrolytes, serum glucose, renal function, and hemoglobin levels.  Likewise, a preoperative EKG will act more as a starting baseline than as exclusionary criteria in an active healthy adult.  Most patients who seek Facelift surgery are age 50 and up and have an established a health history.  Probably the greatest challenge for patients in this age range is hypertension, which must be controlled prior to the surgical date.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood test/ good fit for a facelift

+1

Blood tests will be done, possibly with an EKG to see if you are in good health for a facelift and anesthesia. Whether you are a good fit for a facelift is determined by a plastic surgeon and depends on if a facelift will address the problems that you are concerned with.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Will I need to have a blood test done as part of evaluation to help determine if I'm a good fit for a facelift operat

+1

Yes, maybe and no!  Blood tests are often done prior to a facelift, but it's not so much as part of the evaluation as to make sure that your overall health will allow you to undergo the surgical procedure you'll be having.  The decision on whether or not you're a good fit incorporates whether or not you're "fit" enough, but it's not the same thing.  Selecting the right procedure is a question of anatomy (which procedures will "work" on you), comfort (are you willing and healthy enough to undergo the procedures being recommended for you) and practical aspects (finances, recovery, etc).  The Plastic Surgery Bottom Line:  Blood (and other) tests are often done prior to surgery, including a facelift, but that is primarily to make sure that your overall medical health is likely to be able to tolerate the surgery being proposed.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Blood Tests and Facelifts

+1

Most patients undergoing a facelift are over forty or fifty years old.  In my practice, I request routine blood work (including a CBC and BMP), a chest x-ray, and EKG for ALL patients over forty years old who will be having elective surgery.  This workup does not establish suitability for a specific procedure, but rather confirms a general good health.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Facelift Specialist in Tampa, FL

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, FL

Jaime Perez, MD

Pre-surgery lab test requirements for facelift

+1

Most physicians do not perform blood tests unless there is an overriding medical condition, such as patients taking diuretics and require a potassium level.  Anemic patients may require a blood test to make sure they are not currently anemic prior to undergoing this type of surgery.  Most patients over 55 will require an EKG.  Make sure that there are no other overriding health conditions that may preclude someone from having a facelift, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and other healing issues.  

Preoperative lab test requirements

+1

Outpatient as well as hospitals have established guidelines for preoperative lab test requirements.  This is primarily to be sure the patients are healthy  leading up to surgery.  Age and medical preconditions  will dictate which lab tests should be ordered.  For younger patients there may be few tests required.  Be aware that this is not a surgeon's requirement, although we always want to know that our patientsare healthy before surgery.  Your Plastic Surgeon will give you guidance about this.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Facelift Criteria

+1

Great questions.  The first part of your consultation is part of an educational experience to help you identify and focus on the areas which cause your aging appearance.  Once these have been identified a treatment plan can be made to treat the issues specific and individualized for you.  A facelift typically addresses both the skin and its underlying support system.  In addition to removing excess skin, your Plastic Surgeon also tightens the facial muscles and removes excess fat.  New techniques are being advanced to make this more natural with faster recoveries.  All of this would be discussed with you during your consultation.                                            

Once your treatment plan has been made and you need a facelift, the second part of the consultation is to determine whether you are a surgical candidate.  This involves a complete assessment to evaluate your health, any medical problems, current medications and allergies. A team approach is used to bring all of your pertinent medical information to the Plastic Surgeon & Anesthesiologist (Physician administering anesthesia during surgery).  This may include blood tests, EKG’s and consultation with your Medical Specialists as necessary.  It is this thorough evaluation, which makes these surgical procedures safe. I hope this helps with your concerns. 

Best regards! 

Dean L. Johnston, MD