Crescent of Mole Left After Scraping, What Will this Look Like When it Heals? Will it Grow Back?

I just got a small, portruding mole above my upper lip scraped off by my dermatologist a few days ago and I just noticed that it appears a crescent-shaped piece was left behind. What is this going to look like when it heals? Will the mole just grow back?

Mole removal

+1

When shaving a mole off, this usually yields a good cosmetic result.  There is a chance that the mole can grow back, however there is no knowing if and when it does.  

Shaving a mole

+1

When done properly, shaving is a safe and very effective way to remove a mole. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and leaves a minimal scar. The mole itself will rarely grow back. Moles that are removed in this fashion should not recur enough to be bothersome. If they do, they can always be excised and sutured at that time. You should allow this area to fully heal and then see your dermatologist again if it has not healed properly.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Moles

+1

Moles should never be scraped, shaved, or destroyed. They should be removed surgically and submitted for pathology examination. As for the remnant that you have , you need to discuss that with your dermatologist .