Is a Crescent Lift the Most Appropriate Treatment? (photo)

I am planning a breast augmentation, and have met with 2 doctors. Both recommended 450-500cc to fill out my breasts, and stated they will not look too big due to my chest and shoulder width. I have heard great things about the doc I want and have seen his work and am happy, but he wants to do a crescent lift due to slight ptosis. I have read many cons about them here on this site, and am now concerned I will not be happy with the results. Are crescent lifts really always a bad thing?

Consider asking for a higher profile implant

+2

Looking at your photos, you may obtain enough of a "lift" from the implants alone, especially if a higher profile implant is utilized, such as the moderate plus profile from Mentor. Given that you don't need reduction of your areolar diameter, I would not necessarily commit to a mastopexy at the time of your augmentation. If you feel later that your breasts remain ptotic, an appropriate form of lift can be more accurately designed. I have often found that acceptable lifting of the breast occurs with use of these higher profile implants, particularly in the larger size range such as you are considering. 3D imaging with computer simulations may help you reach a decision with your surgeon.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Not a fan of crescent or circumareolar lifts

+1

I would recommend a vertical lift for you.  A crescent lift is not really a "lift" at all---it can reposition the areola a little higher but not much more than half a centimeter or less.  The same is true for a circumareolar "lift"---these tend to make the breasts look flattened and the areola tissue tends to stretch out alot.  I have not had great outcomes with this technique and do not perform it any longer.  My recommendation is to have a vertical lift.  The vertical scar tends to lighten with time for most patients and it gives your surgeon the most control over positioning and tightening your skin. 

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Lift and implants

+1

I am not a big fan of isolated crescent lifts. I prefer circumareola to redistribute the tension if I need to do a minor areola lift.  Good luck.

Crescent lift and Breast augmentation

+1

You have some degree of post partum involution with loss of upper pole fullness. You also have slight ptosis. The shape of the implant is more important than the sizing/volume you have stated. You will probably need some form of lift. Allowing your surgeon to make the decision after the implants are placed is a good option also. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

You wil need a full lift

+1

Your breast tissue has sagged fair amount and touching your chest wall. Patients will only nipple ptosis are candidate for the crescent lift and you have too much of breast tissue ptosis. The other concern is the size of the implants. Your breast skin could not support your breast tissue and that is the reason for the ptosis. The idea of adding 500 cc sounds great but you will sag even more in few years.My other concern is the degree of breast and chest wall asymmetry . Your left breast is wider,larger and has higher fold. Crescent lift can not correct those issues.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Crescent Breast Lift Indicated?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your pictures, I think you will benefit from more breast lifting than can be provided with a “crescent lift”. Although the crescent lift is not “always a bad thing”,  I think the operation is over utilized and can be associated with unsatisfactory results, such as elongation/distortion of the areola.  On the other hand, this type of lift does not provide much of a result  when it comes to breast lifting.

Although patients' desires  to minimize scars associated with breast lifting is understandable,  it is much better to have the appropriate operation performed, thereby minimizing chances that further surgery will be necessary…

Is a Crescent Lift the Most Appropriate Treatment

+1

I would concur that a lift would be advisable if you are considering implants. I would recommend a peri-areolar lift, with the incision all around the areola to get the amount of nipple and areolar elevation that appears to be needed. Sometimes that plan can change once the implants are in, but I think less that the PA lift will not give enough improvement. 

Thanks and best wishes.