Is a Crescent Lift Enough for Me with Implants? Mother of One, Weight Loss, A Cup. (photo)

Mother of one, I breastfed for a long period of time, while I was my breasts were a perfectly round/large. I've lost over 30 pounds, my breasts have shrunk down to a 34 A, my left breast drops a bit lower than the right and also a bit smaller. I want my breasts to be a larger C cup. I went to a counciltation and was told that I would need a crescent lift with high profile saline implants to achieve the look I want. I am 5 '3, 118 pounds. Would this be suitable for me?

Breast Lift Type for Minimal Sag

+1

The answer to your question lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, how large (a "larger C" cup means different things to different people), what shape do you want to have, do you want more cleavage as your breasts are widely spaced apart, etc? The best way I have found is to bring in a medical photo from a plastic surgeon's website for discussion.  I would anticipate that the look  you desire may range from a simple augmentation to a periareolar lift as you have mild sagging (ptosis). A Crescent lift is possible but of limited value. If you want only a breast augmentation - make sure you discuss above the muscle (gives you a slight lift by itself) vs below the muscle placement.

Crescent lift is NOT enough

+1

You descibe having lost 30 lbs and your breasts were large and round and now have shrunk down to a size 34 A.  You have more skin than volume at this time.  I would recommend a breast augmentation using silicone gel implants, retro-pectoral.  This can be done through a peri-areola incision that will allow placement of the implant, elevate the breast tissue and elevate the nipple.  This should all be aligned in the same horizontal plane to give maximum projection.  A crescent lift is worthless and high profile saline implants will make very little difference compared to a normal profile implants when placed retro-pectoral.  The force of the muscle contraction determines implant projection.  I certainly DO NOT recommend pre-pectoral implants as they will descend and you will be unhappy.  You are a perfect candidate for Augmentation with Ultimate Lift.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift...

+1

A common question with breast augmentation is whether or not a lift will be necessary at the time of implant placement. In general, it depends upon the amount of ptosis (drooping of the breasts) prior to surgery, implant size, skin laxity, and breast fold position. Given your photos, you likely will not need a lift at all. The "crescent" mastopexy can lead to disfiguring scars above the areolas or an oval shape (rather than round) to the nipples. Minor lifts can be done with relative ease and comfort under local anesthesia. Because of this, why not have the augmentation performed first, and if necessary the lift may be done later in the office? As to saline vs. silicone, I would recommend silicone under the muscle. The implants will make up the majority of your breast volume and as such, the feel of the implants and the ability to camouflage them in the upper poles will be very important.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not

+1

Base on what I see from your photos I would think the best choice for you would be a simple augmentation with silicone implants not saline.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

No lift needed

+1

Review your options with a board certified plastic surgeon. From the photos provided, you may be a candidate for breast enhancement using an implant only.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Crescent Lift?

+1

Your breasts have an appearance of sagging in part because your nipples and areolae are located toward the lower part of your breast.  It does not seem that you need a lift of any kind and especially not a crescent lift which is generally ineffective and often results in a bad scar and deformity of the areola.  You may benefit, however, from lowering of the crease under your breast so that the implant can be positioned properly behind your nipple and you can avoid excessive upper breast fullness.  Breast measurements would determine if this is indicated and is something you may wish to discuss with your surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Crescent breast "lifts"

+1

I agree with the consensus and would only emphasize that a "crescent lift" is not a breast lift and at best adjusts the position of the nipple-areola but doesn't allow the forces of tension around the areola to adjust and often neither accomplishes what is intended but leaves a worse scar than a periareolar incision. A properly done breast augmentation with properly sized implants will avoid the need for any periareolar scars, at least for now. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and crescent lift?

+1

I am not sure you need a crescent lift at all. The breast augmentation will fill out your breasts and just based solely on your photos, the nipple heights look OK.  An exam in person would be definitive.

Breast Augmentation with Crescent Lift?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I would agree with other respondents,  that breast lifting may not be necessary at all. In general, I am not a fan of "crescent” breast lifting,  given that they accomplish very little and expose you to risk of distortion/elongation of the areola.

Questions about breast augmentation

+1

Based on the photos that you have submitted there is a better chance than not that you would get an excellent result with a breast augmentation without the need for a breast lift.   Your nipples are pointing in an anterior direction and there is a short distance between the nipple and the crease under your breast.   Depending upon the degree of skin laxity you may be able to achieve your desire of a large C cup breast.   My recommendation would however be to use a gel filled implant since your final breast will be more implant than natural breast tissue.  To achieve a C cup you would need an implant in the 350 to 400 cc range and depending upon your breast base diameter you may select from between a high or a moderate profile implant.