Is This Done "Crescent Lift" Done Correctly? My Dr. Seems to Think This is Acceptable (photo)

after I politely expressed my concerns,& asked if we could fix it.I also stated how it's starting to make me feel self conscious but all he had to say(while yelling 3 ft away from me,as i'm sitting there with my breast exposed)how he felt nothing but sorry for me.Not in a apologetic way! He shouted, "if this makes u feel sad, then I.FEEL.SORRY.FOR.U! It put me in tears. PS:after he admitted 1 was bigger & his measurements told him so. 2nd opinion? What do i do now?

Crescent Lift

+3

Hi Andrea,

I'm sorry for your bad experience,and I regret the attitude of your PS.  Like Dr. Minniti mentioned, Crescent lifts don't work.  Rather than re-positioning the nipples, all they will do is elongate the areola above the nipple.  Your PS attitude shows an arrogance that is unacceptable. Ignore his comments.  Find another surgeon.

Good Luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

Crescent Lift

+3

Hello Andrea,

Welcome to the world of the crescent lift.  I am terribly sorry you are another victim of this antiquated and flawed technique. Only the smallest of breasts with an implant could potentially benefit from it, but would still be done better with a circumareolar lift. Your surgeon's indignation is probably based on his belief that the surgery was executed correctly, which is probably true, but irrelevant because the result could be much better if done differently.

In order to achieve better, however, will require a more formal type of lift (at least a vertical or 'lollypop'), and more money.  By doing so, you can remove and replace your implants with ones that are more appropriately sized for your body and preference.  You're revision will address all of your issues: irregular shaped nipples, asymmetric placement of nipples, persistent sagging of breasts, and over augmentation.

You should just say goodbye to your surgeon and find one that is expert in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, including breast lifts, reductions, and revisions.  This type of surgeon would be, of course, certified by the ABPS, and also be a member of the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Yes it is done correctly

+3

Now, having said that I feel you needed much more than a cresent lift.  A cresent lift will work in patients who have minimal ptosis and are almost always adding an implant.  If you did not have a full periareolar lift then I am not sure if there is an old scar from about 3-9 on the areolar.  I would recommend revision with a vertical lift to place the breast and areolar above the iframammaryu crease.  I know its upsetting but it is correctable.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton FLorida.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Crescent lift with breast augmentation

+3

Hello and thanks for your questions and photos, Andrea.  I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your PS.  With pre-op photos, a better opinion could be rendered about your crescent lift.  This type of lift is usually reserved for a slight droopiness, and I mean slight, to the breasts.  From the 2nd photo the left nipple appears to be in an excellent position, as it is well above the inframammary fold.  Trying to correct the nipple position with minimal scars will lead to compromised results.  I would recommend getting a second opinion, but one possiblity is to have an areolar reduction on both sides so they will have a better chance of symmetry.  Best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Is This Done "Crescent Lift" Done Correctly? My Dr. Seems to Think This is Acceptable

+2

Simply put you were NOT a candidate for a crescent lift from the get go! Best to obtain second opinions in person. 

Concerned About Breast Result

+2

Dear Ms Johnson,

I am sorry for your experience.  My question is what are you trying to achieve?  Would it be better nipple position and small more symmetric areola? or symmetry of your breasts additionally? If the discussion and the agreed upon treatment was a simple crescent lift then based on the scar the location is correct and technically that would be the result. The crescent lift only removes some tissue just above the areola and lifts the nipple slightly. True correction of the areola size, nipple position, and breast size would be best treated by a Benelli (doughnut) type incision or a Circumvertical (lollipop) incision.  Revisit with your PS to clearly state your desires.  If this proves fruitless then get a second opinion.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

You results are acceptable for crescent lift

+2

The decision about the lift is complex and involves both the surgeon skills  and the patient's expectations. The decision to have minimal lift and small scar is appealing before surgery, but leads to postoperative dissatisfaction. If you want higher positioned nipple , smaller areola, then you will need full lift. Your surgeon has done the lift correctly, but the crescent lift was not the best lift for you.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Beware the Crescent breast lift

+2

Your surgeon sounds like he has anger management issues.  Oh well, now for your breasts.

It's pretty common for the areola to spread out or become weirdly shaped with this type of lift.   It's also pretty common for patients to prefer this type of lift because of the limited scar. 

You would likely get a better, rounder areolar shape with a revision that goes all the way around the areola or an even better shaped and smaller areola with a vertical lift.

I would seek a second opinion from a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  It also may be that your surgeon will come around and agree that this is a less than optimal result and agree to do his best to make it better.  I hope he does.  

Dr. Lisa Sowder

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Crescent lift mastopexy - not enough breast lift

+1

The trade-off of having a mastopexy is having a more significant scar than would be achieved with implants alone.  For every patient the acceptance of these scars is different.  I am assuming that you chose this crescent scar pattern for the mastopexy because you wanted less scarring than would occur with a more significant lift.  For some patients your postoperative result would be acceptable without the scars of a larger mastopexy. For most others, this would not be an acceptable outcome and the trade-off of more scarring would be desired.  

As you are unhappy with your outcome I think it is safe to say that you would need a more aggressive lift (likely lollipop scar pattern in my opinion) to achieve your goals. 

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Crescent Lift and Breast Augmentation

+1

A crescent lift will never produce symmetric nipple area complexes.  There is too much variability in preoperative size and shape along with inability to control the stretch of the nipple areola complex over time.  If you want higher nipple areola complexes that are more symmetric, I would recommend a vertical lift or full breast lift.