Will Crescent Lift Be Necessary with my Augmentation?

I will be getting an augmentation in a couple of weeks and my doctor mentioned getting a crescent lift. one of my nipples is 1cm lower then the other, though it is above the fold. one of my breast is actually lower then the other. she said that increasing the cc would improve the look from the front but from my perspective from above one of my breasts will look larger and higher. any suggestions? I would rather not get any lift, i breast fed 2 kids, and want a modest look.

Should a crescent lift be performed for nipple height asymmetry during a breast augmentation?

+2

Given that there is a sigificant difference in the vertical height of your nipples, this will persist after surgery and may even be magnified further. Without surgical correction with this minor procedure, they will not be closer in height.

You do have 2 options. The first would be to undergo the augmentation without the crescent lift. If you are then not satisified with difference between the nipples, then the mini-lift can be performed subsequently under local anesthesia in the office.

The second would be to leave it up to the disgression of your plastic surgeon during surgery. If she feels that it's warranted, then she can perform it and complete your entire procedure - all under the general anesthesia. This way you can avoid needles being inserted in your areola for local anesthesia in order to perform the mini-lift in the office.

The scars from this procedure are usually minimally perceptible. Just realize that your breasts will never be entirely identical.

Opting for a breast lift to correct asymmetry: A surgeon makes recommendations and it is up to you to decide.

+2

As a surgeon can only make recommendations based on our experiences. Based on my personal experience, pateients complain about breast asymmetry and so I work to point out pre existing breast asymmetry to patients prior to surgery. If this does not bother you, it is your option to not have the lift performed, You can always do this at a later date. Forewarned is forearmed.

Indications for Crescent Lift

+1

Breast Augmentation with implants are used to enlarge and also at times to make your breast size more symmetric. Breast lift such as a crescent breast lift is used to make the position of your areola and nipple more symmetric. The same incision that is used for the crescent lift can also be used to place the implant so as not to cause additional scars. 

Discuss these options with your board certified plastic surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Asymmetry

+1

If you are getiing implants and one nipple is lower than the other, the oinly wat to lift it with minimal incisions is to perform a cresecent lift.