Crescent Lift with Implants to Correct Mild Breast Asymmetry?

I have mild breast asymmetry, 1 cm to be exact. I have 2 different opinions from 2 different doctors. One wants to do a crescent breast lift with silicone breast implants. The other doctor says not to do the lift because it will cause my nipple to be uneven. So confused!

Crescent Lift for Nipple/Areola Asymmetry

+1

Crescent Lift or Periareolar lifts can be used effectively to correct minor breast nipple areola height asymmetry especially if just 1-2 cm difference. When done by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon there should be little nipple/areola unevenness. Implants are used to adjust for size difference.

Correction of Breast Asymmetry?

+1

Without direct examination revealing pictures it is not possible to give you precise advice.

However, sometimes “mild breast asymmetry” can be corrected using breast implants only. Different volumes, breast implant size, and/or breast implant models may be helpful in this regard.

Sometimes, depending on the patient's physical examination,  some breast lifting may be necessary to improve the symmetry. Many patients would prefer additional incision lines associated with breast lifting  if they achieve more symmetry in return.  Some patients however would rather have slight ongoing breast asymmetry rather than the additional scars associated with breast lifting surgery. Ultimately,  for patients with mild breast asymmetry,  it will be the patient's choice.

Personally, I rarely use the “crescent” breast lift;  the potential for areola distortion/elongation is too great. Furthermore, the amount of breast lifting achieved with this technique is very minimal.

Breast asymmetry correction

+1

Some mild degrees of breast asymmetry can be corrected simply with breast augmentation.  If there is noticeable asymmetry of the nipple/areola locatioon than a crescent lift, properly performed will create a pleasing shape and symmetry.  The shape of the areola should'n be very different  from the other side, if a well executed lift is perfomed.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Crescent lift may correct mild breast asymmetry

+1

A Crescent lift may be a good option to alter the nipple position and help establish a symmetry between the two breasts. Keep in mind that this technique has limited effects as it will only treat the nipple position &  the central portion of the breast.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

Some asymmetry of the breasts is normal. On the other hand, if the areola are on different levels, it may be a good idea to match their heights be performing a circumareola lift.

Crescent breast lift with breast implants OK to correct minimal asymmetry.

+1

Hi.

A crescent breast lift together with breast implants will probably correct a minimal breast asymmetry of one centimeter.  So, without seeing you , seems like a good plan. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

A Crescent Lift "lifts" only minimally

+1

As long as you don't expect much from a crescent lift, you will probably be OK. I do them only for minimal fine touches never to really "lift" much. When taken to extremes they can introduce areolar distortion. Much of this is, of course, a matter of opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

This is elective surgery and choice of crescent nipple lift is YOUR'S not the surgeon's

+1

I have a prepared a video showing before and after results of patients who did not and who did proceed with the crescent lift and have included the link below.

I frequently use this technique for many patients after making them aware of the option. It is exactly that, an option and a choice that depends on YOUR personal preference. Like choosing to travel by train, plane, or automobile. It is an elective decision. This is not a ruptured appendix where you have no choice but to operate. There is no right and there is no wrong. Your surgeon is merely educating you and offering a menu of possiblities. Ultimately, you have yo order from the menu and like and live with what you order

Yes, a crescent lift will distort the nipple by making it oblong and it will be visible in the nude. However, other patients complain about the appearance of uneven nipples when they are wearing sheer clothing.

Which bothers you more:

1. a potentially visible uneven nipple in clothing? or
  2. an uneven appearance to the areola.

The choice is yours. Another possiblity is to proceed with the augmentation alone and do the nipple lift at a later date if you find it to be bothersome.

Remember your breast appearance will change with time and a reasonable goal is to achieve less uneveness rather than accomplish perfect symmetry (unrealistic).

I have created a youtube video presentation of a talk on breast asymmetry which you may want to review. This shows patients with nipple at different heights (called nipple dystopia) and the before and afters of patients who chose NOT to have anything done and others who chose to correct it using the crescent lift (technically called the periareolar mastopexy abbreviated the PA pexy).

Best of luck with your decision. I hope this helps!

Differing opinions

+1

You will get different opinions about subtl asymmetry in nipple height. I personally don't like the crescent lift because it often leads to an oblong areola which is stretched up to try to match it. In the future if you were to need a more formal breast lift, that upper areolar incision may decrease your oprtions due to blood supple being divided. If you chose to have the crescent lift, ask your plastic surgeon to show you photos of patients with similar anatomy. It is very important to realize that forums like this allow plastic surgeons like me to give you my opinion. This does not mean it is the textbeek answer but my opinion. I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

I do not advise crescent lift!

+1

ALL patients have some degree of breast asymmetry and it is extremely important for patients to recognize and understand this before embarking on any surgical procedure. ALL patients start off asymmetric, ALL patients have some degree of asymmetry after any procedure on the breasts.

If patients have a 1 cm difference in the nipple position I would NOT recommend any mastopexy. The crescentic or crescent mastopexy is an older technique that basically takes out some tissue in an upper crescent and tries to slightly elevate the nipple. In my experience, all it seems to do is create a more vertically elongated nipple areolar complex which can widen with the stretch from an implant behind it.

The focus of my practice is aesthetic breast surgery and I would recommend simply doing a dual plane subpectoral breast augmentation with silicone gel implants that are appropriate for your body frame. I utilize a number of measurement and do biodimensional planning on all my patients to help establish an appropriate size implant for the patient's tissues. Placing implants alone will not "pick up" the nipple or lift the breast much....but if you do a dual-plane technique as I do it can give you some subtle lift and balance without obligating you to a crescentic lift.

IF there is a gross malposition or asymmetry of the nipple position after the breast augmentation that is bothersome to you, then I would maybe consider a one sided mastopexy only at that time if it was necessary.... 1 cm asymmetry is unlikely to need this. A dual plane breast augmentation will correct mild degrees of asymmetry without a formal mastopexy.

I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD