Will Crepey Wrinkly Skin After Lower Blep and Fat Transfer Resolve?

Hi I had upper/lower blep, cheek lift and fat transfer to lower lids 4 weeks ago, I am happy with the results so far and completely understand healing takes time, but wanted to know if the crepey/wrinkly skin under the eye will resolve once the fat has adhered to the tissue or will the fat transfer purely fill the void left by eyebag removal and not have an impact on the crepey/wrinkly skin?? I asked my surgeon and he advised waiting another 2-3 weeks before deciding on further action.

Lower lid wrinkles

+1

Loose skin is removed conservatively in many lower lid blephs. Wrinkles in the skin do not disappear from that surgery. Sometimes light peels can help.

Wrinkled skin of Lower Eyelids After Surgery

+1

Wrinkled skin after lower lid blepharoplasty is a common concern.  This usually occurs because of the reduction in volume of the tissues beneath the skin after the fat transfer or partial removal.  This can be temporary but may remain.  Since this has been a significant concern in my patients, I now perform a light laser lift at the sametime as the lower eyelid surgical procedure.  I have found that this tightens the skin nicely and is usually healed by the time the swelling has resolved after the surgical procedure.  Since adding this to my procedure I have found that it has enhanced my results by approximately 30%.  

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkled skin after lower eyelid blepharoplasty

+1

Good morning,

You're surgeon is correct.  Give it another 2 to 4 weeks before taking any other action.  However, I do a lot of eyelid surgery and I can honestly tell you wrinkles often remain and that's not all bad.  There's good reasons for this:

1.  The surgery needs to be conservative and safe so you don't get eyelid retraction which will cause issues long-term

2.  Some lines maintains a natural look.  May sound like a lame excuse but can you see any wrinkles in Joan Rivers?  Nuff said.

3.  You can be more aggressive with the skin-flap component of the surgery but this adds to your healing time, sometimes significantly and you most patients can't afford the down time and added risk.

You could always do some laser work to help the wrinkles later.  Or even a bit more skin work but just wait.  If you look at some of my before and afters the patients are rarely wearing make up.  Many of them have some wrinkles, particularly if they had a large bag to begin with.  

Hope that helps.  Keep on healing and be patient.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon