Crepey Skin After Upper Blepharoplasty

The swelling from my upper bleph is finally beginning to subside (after 4 and a half weeks) however now I am noticing crepey skin on the outer side of my eyelids. Is this normal and does it improve?

Crepey skin after Blepharoplasty

+3

It is normal to continue to notice changes in your eyelids for months after Blepharoplasty.  Though most of the swelling subsides in the first several weeks, more changes may become apparent with time.

Crepey skin can be improved with a surgical touch-up, chemical peel or laser treatment according to your surgeon's judgment and preference for your situation.

The lines at the corners of the eyes ("Crow's Feet) can be improved with BOTOX and are not typically improved with eyelid surgery alone.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Creppy skin after Blepharoplasty

+2

The simple answer is perhaps.  Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) removes excess fat, skin and muscle (if needed) to create an more open upper eyelid.  The procedure, other than due to some temporary swelling, surely can't and won't create creppy skin that didn't exist before the eyelid surgery.  Incision placement and the amount of skin removed, however will dictate how much creppy is removed.

Crepey skin generally responds to resurfacing, not surgery

+2

This of surgery as tailoring - best when there is too much fabric (frank skin excess). A wrinkled, but properly-fitted dress is best ironed - not taken in two sizes and worn really tight. When there is the appropriate amount of skin remaining, but that skin is crepey - laser or chemical resurfacing is the best choice to "iron out the wrinkles."

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Skin Resurfacing is Best for "Crepey" Skin after Blepharoplasty

+2

Crepey skin is normal if you have not combined s skin resurfacing procedure with your Blepharoplasty surgery.  When excess fat is removed from the lower lids and excess skin is removed from the upper lids- you have merely addressed skin and fat- not skin tone, texture and quality. 

Lasers create a tightening affect that helps to improve the appearance of loose facial and neck skin.

A laser is an amplified beam of light that vaporizes blemishes, imperfections, and lines and wrinkles that were once thought to be permanent. Laser resurfacing may also improve the appearance of acne scars and remove precancerous skin growths.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepy skin after upper blepharoplasty

+2

The crepy skin after upper blepharoplasty can represent excess skin that has not been maximally removed, therefore a touch up may be in order several months after the procedure.  Crepy skin can also respond to tightening procedures like chemical peel or laser or volume replacement.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepiness after eyelid surgery

+2

Although upper blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) is done to remove excess skin and fat and to open up your eyes, it does not change the texture of the skin. I tell my patients that surgery will address the quantity of extra skin, but it does not address the skin quality. There may be some puffiness causing crepiness on the outside of the eyelids. This should continue to improve as the swelling and skin settle. After 6 months, if you still have concerns, I suggest returning to your surgeon for evaluation. Resurfacing techniques, such as chemical peels or fractional laser treatments, can improve the texture of the skin and do a little tightening as well.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepy skin after upper eyelid surgery

+2

It is not uncommon to have some crepy upper eyelid skin after upper blepharoplasty. It should resolve with time and I would wait at least six months. If it does not resolve options include a minor touch-up or a laser tightening procedure should the need arise.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Texture after Blepharoplasty

+2

Traditional eyelid surgery is designed to remove excess skin, but does not change its quality.  Sometimes stretching of the skin occurs afterwards that improves the appearance of fine lines, but typically wrinkled or crepey skin stays that way. 

In order to improve skin texture, the skin has to be wounded in a controlled way to allow it to heal with a more youthful appearance.  This can be approached through a number of techniques.  I prefer the Fraxel Repair laser.  It has about 5 days of downtime, but usually results in dramatic improvement.

Alan Brackup, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon