Crepey, Saggy Neck at 39, What Are My Options?

I am 39 years old, generally slim and youthful in appearance. I am 5'5 and 124 pounds, and have two children. I gained and lost about 50 pounds in each pregnancy. My neck skin is extremely wrinkly, crepey, and saggy. My face and body look 35, but my neck looks like it belongs to a 55-year old. I KNOW I have some sun damage there from some severe burns I got in my teens. I am also wondering if the weight gains and losses of pregnancy contributed to the sagging. What can I do?

Neck Lift Will Correct Crepy Saggy Neck Skin

+4

Certainly weight gain and loss will cause loose skin under the neck.

From your photo you appear to have loose skin, some residual fat and lax neck muscle.

A Neck Lift with repair of the muscle through a small incision under your chin, and tightening of the muscle and removal of loose skin through incisions behind the ears should give you a very nice result.

Crepey, loose neck skin needs a facelift

+2

While your photos aren't perfect, even at your age, your weight gains and losses have taken away your skin elasticity and it will never return.  No non-surgical treatments are worthwhile in my opinion to make any real difference for you.  The only way I know to dramatically improve what you have is to do,a facelift (cheek and neck lift).  On rare occasions these are needed even in folks under 40 if they have the right anatomy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

face and neck lift versus neck lift only

+1
The photograph shows a significant amount of excess skin and laxity in the neck area. This most likely due to weight gain and loss, genetics, and sun exposure. The best treatment for this is either a face/ neck lift  or a neck lift  with skin removal. From many examples, please see the link below to our photo Gallery

Necklift or Ulthera Ultrasound Skin Tightening

+1

A necklift or Ulthera ultrasound skin tightening would help your neck.  A neckift is much more invasive but the results are more dramatic.  Ulthera is an easy outpatient procedure with no downtime.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Solution: Neck Lift

+1

As you know, age is only a number - on that genetically your body doesn't necessarily coincide with. And, yes, the weight gain and loss may be a factor. Loosey, creepy skin is best treated with a neck lift. This procedure can restore the neckline, jawline and your self confidence!

John W. Bass, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Corset platysmaplasty

+1

You have two visible problems;

1- Sagging skin from weight loss

2- Platysmal bands - a separation of the platysma muscle with age.

The best way to correct these problems is with a neck lift. In my hands, the most durable and aesthetically natural lift is the Corset Platysmaplasty. You do not need a facelift if your jowls and cheeks are OK.

Other things you can do to maximize the benefit of surgery would be to eat and live well. 

Robert M. Freund, MD

Necklift with Platysmaplasty Will Provide Excellent Longevity

+1

Your "best" option is a neck lift with dedicated tightening of the platysma (=neck) muscle. If done well, this will provide you with superb results and last a long time. Otherwise, non-invasive facial tightening (i.e. Ultherapy) is an non-surgical alternative; the overall improvement will not rival that of a necklift, though.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin at 39 looking at Face Lift and Neck Lift

+1

I have performed Face Lifts and Neck Lifts for over 20 years and at 39 you have more loose skin that typical.  This, IMHO, is most likely due to the substantial weight gain and loss as you described.  Your choices, to remove, this amount of skin are limited and would include a formal Neck Lift or some smaller variation of excess skin excision under the chin.  The limited surgery would not make the neck completely smooth like the full neck lift, so the decision, of how smooth, you'd like your neck would dictate what procedure is best for you.

IMHO, you should not rely on sutures, threads or suture suspension procedures to tighten and lift your loose neck skin.  These procedures, IMO, are all limited by the fact the threads are more stiff then the tissue within which they are placed.  This creates a "wire through cheese" type effect that will cause the threads (sutures) to move towards the surface, of the skin, or loosen which allows the skin to once again sag.  This degree of loose skin will require an incision, tissue dissection and skin removal.  RF or Laser treatrments, IMO, tighten the skin a couple of mm's and would not be able to remove 2 inches of skin, like the Neck Lift.

You should have a few consultations with Face Lift surgeons with good reputations to discuss your best options.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Sagging neck skin treatment.

+1

Sagging neck skin treatment involves removing the extra skin that has resulted from aging. Other treatments such as fillers and lasers, etc. do not remove that excess. This is done  with a facelift by an experienced facelift surgeon.

Facelift is the best option

+1

In my practice we often see many folks with the very same concerns.  I agree with what has been stated earlier.  There is currently no technology that will adequately address your concerns with surgery.  I would recommend a minimal incision facelift which should easliy provide you with a fairly long lasting solution.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon