Why Do I Have a Crease and Bulges Under my Nose Following an Open Rhinoplasty? (photo)

3 months post septo/rhino. Now when I smile, there's a crease under my nose & bulges under both nostrils. My tip is VERY swollen, beaky & firm; my PS put in a tip graft that extends into my columella & sutured my tip cartilages. I used to love my smile but am now embarrassed because the line extends all the way across my mouth, like a mustache. My PS wasn't concerned and said we tend to focus on the face too much after a rhinoplasty. I was hoping he'd say swelling. :( Any hopes for my smile?

Unhappy with nasal tip swelling after septorhinoplasty

+2

What you are experiencing is a normal post Septorhinoplasty. Swelling after a Septorhinoplasty with grafts can last for up to a year.  You are in early stages of healing process. About six months after your procedure, you should see clear improvements.  Long-term results can take up to a year or more to be appreciated.  This is the hardest part for the rhinoplasty patients to accept, because it takes patience.  Give it time and follow up closely with your surgeon.  Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati

The Bulges and Crease Following Your Rhinoplasty Should Improve. Be Patient

+2

It will take at least 6 months (and as long as a year) for the swelling and firmness in the tip of your nose to resolve after your rhinoplasty. Until then, the swelling certainly could be causing the bulges and crease just under the nose. This is the hard part, but you really have to be patient. My guess is that although you may not be seeing any changes day to day, if you take another picture in 2 months you will see a noticeable difference. Please be patient. If the results are not what you want after 1 year, there are things that could be done to help it at that point. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Do I Have a Crease and Bulges Under my Nose Following an Open Rhinoplasty?

+1

Still very early especially following open rhinoplasty for the swelling in the columella to upper lip to decrease. If after 6 months still an issue could be the upper lip muscle issue/scarring. 

Smiling

+1

I think that at 12 months post-op your will be in a good position to evaluate any residual facial edema or swelling.  However, try some focused icing and see is the results are better for the short run (as an experiment of what things might will look like at 12 months).

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon