Any Creams for Raised Blepharoplasty Scars?

Is there a cream for raised scar from blepharoplasty over 2 years ago? I didn't think Mederma could be used around eyes. My eyelids are also still very red.

You need a thorough evaluation.

+2

To valbeckaboo,

Hi.  Creams are not going to help.  It sounds like you have an unusual problem, and you might need another operation.  I recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Raised blepharoplasty scars are uncommon

+2

It is uncommon for a blepharoplasty scar to be raised at 2 years. At this point, I have reservations about whether a cream will make it go away. Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

Web reference: http://www.antell-md.com/newyorkplasticsurgeon/eyelidsurgery_nyc.htm

Consult with your original surgeon or an eye plastic surgeon

+2

Dear Vaveckaboo,

By two years, the blepharoplasty scars should be quiet and barely visible. Having them raised and an issue two years after surgery suggest that you need a scar revision which is considered to be a relatively minor procedure. Essentially just the scar tissue is excised and the eyelid is put back together. This type of procedure can be very comfortably performed in the office setting.

I would imagine that your original surgeon would be interested in helping you with this problem as the issue reflects on his skills as a blepharoplasty surgeon. Surgeons differ regarding the financial policies for these types of touch ups. It is not uncommon for the surgeon to charge nothing for their time to perform this type of revision but ask you to pay the supplies and other facility fees. This is certainly much less expensive that starting up with an entirely new surgeon who is likely to be a little less generous than the original surgeon.

So rather than recommend a cream and encourage you to be treating yourself for this problem, I recommend that you see your surgeon. If for some reason you are uncomfortable with this or the surgeon is not available, consider visiting ASOPRS.org, the website for the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery which has a directory of eye plastic surgeons and you can find a well trained eye plastic surgeon in your area.

Too late after eyelid surgery for creams

+1

Creams are most effective when used in the first year. Have you seen your surgeon about a scar revision?

Best regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Cortisone creams for blepharoplasty scars

+1

Those scars shold have matured and be almost "invisible" after 2 years. Massage cortisone cream into scars 2-3 times daily until you get the result you want. If your skin starts to lighten, then stop.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Too late for scars

+1

Your scars a well healed and in fact are very mature. This means they won't change significantly any more. I wish you had included a picture to see what you mean. The eyelids are the best scarring area of the body and are immune from keloids and hypertrophic scarring (we don't know why). So red, raised scars are interesting. Most likely at this point the scars will need to be revised. This is not a significant surgery. Mederma doesn't do anything. The only thing that may help immediately after surgery is silicone but it's too late for that now.

See your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Most creams wiil not work after 2 years

+1

You have hypertrophic scar and creams willl not work. Please go back to your doctor or get a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to examine and recommend the proper treatment fo your problem.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon