I Have Lumbar Pain and Spurs on Discs, Will a Reduction Ease The Pain?

Am I Crazy Considering a Breast Reduction? Aged 52, I Am 36K and 5"2" in Height I Weigh 180 in height and roughly 160lbs. I have a lot of lumbar pain also spurs on 2 discs on my neck, will this operation help both my self esteem and neck and back pain.

Breast Reduction - Will it Ease Back Pain?

+1

Based on what you say, I think it's likely you'll get significant relief with a breast reduction.  Of course, your MAXIMUM pain relief would most likely be obtained by losing some weight AND having breast reduction surgery.  For the best aesthetic result, I would advise losing the weight first and then having the breasts reduced and contoured.  Assuming both of those, I suspect you'll have significant pain relief and improved self-esteem.  Two for one...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Reduction relieves pain of large breasts

+1

Breast reduction is approved by insurance companies by meeting criteria of symptoms (pain) and the required weight removal.  If you are a size 36 K then you will meet criteria for weight reduction.  There is a new technique which transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying pectoral major muscle.  This will resolve your pain in your neck and upper back and will improve your self esteem.  Lumbar pain secondary to spurs may not be relieved.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and back pain

+1

Given the information you have provided, breast reduction surgery sounds like a very reasonable option for you to consider.  This surgery carries very high patient satisfaction with reduction of symptoms related to excess breast tissue, giving a more pleasing shape to the breast, and relieving some of the social issues women face due to large breasts (lack of clothing choices, a self consciousness about their large breasts, etc).  Patients commonly feel relief in their upper back, neck, and shoulder areas.  Please keep in mind that the surgery does not promise to take away all musculoskeletal pain you may have.  If you have true spinal arthritis, then the relief expected will be less predictable.  Please see a plastic surgeon to hear your options and find out if you are a candidate to get some relief.  Good luck!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Breast Reduction Indicated?

+1

No you are not “crazy” to consider breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations were performed ( in all age groups).  It does help patients who are suffering from breast hypertrophy related symptoms (both physical and psychological).  Generally, most patients with breast hypertrophy saw from from upper spine, neck, shoulder discomfort etc.

You should be aware however that symptoms  that are related to anatomic  anomalies  (for example disk disease)  not necessarily improve after breast reduction surgery. For these symptoms it would be best to consult with spine specialists.  Once these concerns have been fully evaluated/treated,  in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon may be helpful to you.

Generally, the most common “complaint” heard after breast reduction surgery is “I wish I had done this earlier”.

Pain relief of back with a breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction may help improve back and neck pain, and may not.  But if nothing else has worked, removing some weight from the breasts may imp roe your condition.

Pain Relief in Neck and Back With Breast Reduction

+1

Breast reduction almost always reduces pain in the neck and shoulder area but will not cure the disc problem and any pain that is related to the disc will remain.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction Has Greater Effect On Upper Back/Neck Pain

+1

Breast reduction surgery typically benefits pain in the upper and mid-thoracic back more than the lower back.  However, I have seen patients who demostrated significant improvement in the lower back pain on occasion following their breast reductions.

John Whitt, MD

Back pain and breast reduction surgery

+1

Breast reduction surgery can be tremendously beneficial in alleviating back pain and also improving self esteem if your large breasts make you feel self conscious. In general, breast reduction surgery averages at 99% patient satisfaction which is really hard to find in any operation. Since you have actual problems with your spine it's possible that breast reduction alone may not totally alleviate your pain, but removing the extra weight is likely to help decrease the stress on your back and shoulders. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Many surgeons will be able to get your surgery covered by health insurance based on ht/wt criteria-from your description it sounds like you would probably qualify. Cheers, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS