How to Get Rid of a Crater Scar on Nose?

I recently saw my dermatologist to "shave" off small bump on my nose. She ended up cutting very deep and left me with a crater, which is a lot worse than the original bump. What can I do about this? I'm really self-conscious about it. Thanks! (P.S. this photo was taken while the crater is covered with foundation and powder. It's very red underneath.)

Nasal crater following biopsy

+1

While the scar may look quite deep now, it may certainly fill in and improve considerably over time. I would not recommend any surgical correction for at least 3-4 months from the date of the original biopsy. Even at that time, I would recommend a conservative surgical approach as something more aggressive might worsen the outcome.

If the crater still looks quite depressed, the raised edges may be smoothed down with dermabrasion. Also, the center may be elevated by placing a fascia graft below the skin to elevate the area and essentially replace the missing dermis. I have used this approach before with excellent results. Re-excising the scar or doing a punch biopsy will only worsen this problem and may cause an unnatural notch to the alar rim so I would not recommend them.

Nose scar

+1

It is likely that this scar will improve quite a bit over time without treatment. Given the depth of the scar, a filler underneath with or without laser or dermabrasion of the skin over the scar should give nice improvement. Lastly, a few treatments with a pulsed dye laser will reduce the redness more quickly than time alone.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Treating a scar on the tip of the nose

+1

there are many ways to deal with this small scar - a local dermabrasion, and or filling the space below with a tiny amount of silicone will probably resolve the scar 60 to 70%.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Nasal tip depression

+1

Unfortunately, having a biopsy done on the rounded tip portion of the nose or an excision there invariably will lead to a depressed scar. There are two options. You can fill in the depression to elevate it higher wil a filler or you can punch excise it. I would be careful with a punch excision since this can result in pincushioning which could actually be more noticeable. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Punch It Out

+1

Please do not be overly concerned. I have seen larger "divots" than this one.

The crater can be removed by using a punch biopsy, with the small hole being sutured together. Usually this will suffice, but if not a touch with a laser can smooth out the remaining scar.

Personally, I prefere a punch biopsy nose anyway, especially if the biopsy is done to rule out a skin cancer. Twice in my career I have seen basal cells on the nose which was interpreted as an actinic keratosis ( pre-cancer) by the dermatologist. The shave biopsy was most likely superficial and there was a basal cell carcinoma lurking beneath the atypical surface cells. Plus a punch biopsy in this location is more likely to give a better analysis if you are considering melanoma.

The shave biopsy is preferred if you know the lesion is benign such as a benign mole, or something called a fibrous papule ( a common lesion in middle-aged woman which is actually a type of mole).

I would return to the dermatologist and she most likely will use a punch biopsy to make things right for you.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist