Had Juvederm Injected in Upper Lip and Verticle Lines, Duck Looking. Should I Get It Removed? (photo)

I had juvederm for vertical lines, and the doctor suggested I get some injected in my upper lip since it was thinning. I agreed, and after all the swelling and bruising disappeared I am left with this above the lip protrusion and upper lip is lopsided. It is very unattractive, it has changed my look, not for the better. I just had someone I used to work with ask me what was wrong with my face. When I asked her what she meant, she said my (pointed to the area) face looked swollen. What to do??

Lips uneven after Juvederm, Should you have it removed?

+1

From the photo it appears you still have some bruising and that means you could have swelling too.  The upper lip does appear slightly uneven, but that doesn't mean everything needs to be removed.  You should go back to your provider for correction. That may mean adding a little where needed or removing a little to correct the asymmetry.  When done correctly, Juvederm can have a very natural look! 

Correcting excess juvederm injections

+1

Juvederm is a good filler for lips and lip lines, however it can look unnatural if too much is injected or injected unevenly. If you are unhappy with the results of your juvederm injections, and would rather not wait for it to break down on its own, juvederm can be dissolved. Being a hyaluronic acid, juvederm can be disolved with a few injections of hyaluronidase. Once the juvederm has dissolved you can go back and get another injection of juvederm if you so wish.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Dissolving filler

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers often last for 6 months in the lips. The most natural results occur when the normal anatomy and shape of the lips is followed. The hyaluronic acid fillers, such as juvederm, restylane, and perlane can be dissolved with the injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase if need be. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Juvederm for vertical lines

+1

Please return to your injector to discuss your concerns.  You can have hyaluronidase injections to dissolve the Juvederm.  You can then be reinjected for an enhanced, natural look.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm complication

+1

Juvederm is a great filler injection for lips. however, just like any other filler, its al in the hands of the injector and how your body takes it. if youre not satisfied with your results you must have it dissolved ASAP. the longer you wait, the longer it takes to completely dissolve it.  

Misbah Khan, MD

Your Juvederm injection was not done correctly and needs to be dissolved with hyaluronidase

+1

A natural ratio of the upper lip to lower lip is between 1:1 to 1:2, most people think 1:1.5 is about right.  In any event, your upper lip is now bigger than your lower lip instead of being smaller.  Also, it was unevenly injected, so there is more on your left side.  I think I would put some Juvederm in you lower lip and dissolve some of the upper lip Juvederm, particularly on the left side with hyaluronidase.  See my video on blunt cannulas for lip enhancement.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm correction possible with hyaluronidase

+1

It is certainly possible to remove the Juvederm w/ an office injection of hyaluronidase.  

Your lips are a bit asymmetric and they are out of balance.  Typically the lower lip should provide 2/3 of the total lip volume, and so your upper lip appears a bit too prominent.  . Your central white lip appears prominent, so if this was over-volumized, that would be the area to inject with the hyaluronidase.  There is a lot of individual variability in those traits, so some or all of the findings I described above may be been present before the injection.  Improvement in the symmetry of the lips and addition of some extra volume in the lower lip may help achieve a more balanced appearance.

WIthout seeing your appearance before the injection it's hard to give you any more specific recommendations. Consider a second opinion with an experienced injector in your area.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm can be dissolved

+1

In short, if you don't like the Juvederm it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase quite easily by an experienced injector. Since we don't have pre-photos to look at, I don't want to comment too much on the look, but in general, I prefer when doing the lips to follow a natural lip enhancement, which for most people means the bottom lip should be 2/3 and the top lip 1/3. This is most people's natural ratio and when it's altered, that's when people can get a duck lip look. But let me just be clear when I say that if you don't like an area that was injected, or over-injected, then yes, it can be removed with hyaluronidase.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD