Cracked Nasal Cartilage?

My helmet slid up and caught my nose at hockey practice last Monday. My nose started hurting immediately following and swelled slightly. It is not broke because the standard bruising did not occur and the pain was.gone the next day. However, five days later; the top and a little of the area above my left nostril is still very tender and there has been bloody mucus on that side...is it possible that I cracked the cartilage and should I just leave it to heal?

You may have torn the mucosa or fractured the cartilage

+1

Thank you for the question.  Its hard to know what injury you actually sustained but its is safe to say the you disrupted the mucosa inside the nose. You may have also fractured the cartilage of your nostril or the cartilage of the septum near the nostril.  If you can I would have a plastic surgeon take a look at it but honestly waiting for it to heal is likely the best course of action.

Dr. Remus Repta

Nasal Cartilage or Nasal Fracture

+1

If you had any bleeding after your injury then you have had a disruption of the nasal mucosa or a nasal fracture. You will need to be examined by a Board Certified Otolaryngologist or Plastic Surgeon that has expertise in this area. If there is minimal to no deformity and no septal hematoma then one can wait and do any reconstruction if needed at a later time. If there is any functional deformity then one can do septal reconstruction or rhinoplasty in 6-8 weeks after injury, but it is prudent to wait a little longer if possible.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Cracked cartilage

+1

It is possible to fracture the nasal bones or the septum.  Sometimes patients break only the internal portion of the nose and the nasal bones  remain straight.  It's important to make sure there's not a septal hematoma, which can only be diagnosed upon physical examination. If he deviated septum is the result of the injury this can be repaired at surgery if  the septum isblocking air flow out of the nose.

Damaged Nasal Cartilage

+1

It is really hard to tell what happened without a thorough examination. I would highly recommend you consult with a local facial plastic surgery expert or otolaryngologist so that a more accurate assessment can be made in person. Good luck with this.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal cartilage issue

+1

The two may or may not be related, but without an exam it is difficult to say.  A bump from a helmet should not cause internal problems.

Concerns After Nasal Trauma

+1

This may be of little concern, but you would need an exam to rule out a septal hematoma.  There is no really good way to evaluate this without pictures or an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA