Am I Covered Under Warranty Regardless of Pregnancy?

I recieved my 360cc McGhan Saline implants March 18 2004. They have been great. Since then I have had 2 children with no effects except my breast increasing from the C-cup to D-cup. I had my last child 5 years ago. Today I noticed that my right breast was sufficiently smaller and both feel squishy as if they have air pockets, the right more than the left. Would this be considered a "leak"? and if so would this qualify for warranty replacement? What should I do?

Implant warranty not affected by pregnancy

+1

Your implant warranty is not affected by pregnancy.  Have your plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon in your community evaluate you to give you a better idea of what might be occuring.

Dr Repta

Breast implant warranty and pregnancy

+1

Great question. Your implants should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty that existed at the time of your initial surgery.  McGhan is now Allergan.  The warranty covers implant failure to no fault of your own or your surgeons.

I recommend you see your operative surgeon to be evaluated to see if your implants are leaking. If one or both of your implants have failed and are leaking, then you should be covered under warranty.

Ask you plastic surgeon to start the claim process for you for your warrantied implants.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Warranty

+1

Current breast implant warranties cover implant rupture, no matter the cause.  It does sound like you have a rupture or a leaking implant.  You will need to find out what type of warranty was in place for your implants at the time of the surgery in March of 2004.  

You should have been given that information from the surgeon that performed your surgery, if you do not have that information, contact your surgeon and obtain all the implant information and the operative note.  You, or the plastic surgeon, will then need to contact the manufacturer by phone to see what your warranty is and what is included.  The warranties vary from company to company and have changed through the years.  Pregnancy and/or breast feeding does NOT change your warranty.

All broken implants should be removed and replaced.  Since your implants are 7 years old, you may want to consider swapping out the other side also.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy does not void implant warranty

+1
If the implant has deflated, your plastic surgeon would open a warranty claim with the manufacturer and, at minimum, you'd be entitled to a replacement implant but not to surgical costs unless you had purchased an extended warranty, if available. I have seen two patients recently, operated on initially by different plastic surgeons, who appeared to have deflations which were not borne out by diagnostic studies. See a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation of the condition and ascertain, prior to any surgery, what your financial responsibility will be.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Pregnancy Does Not Void Breast Implant Warranty

+1

The breast implant warranties issued by either Mentor or Allergan are not voided if you have a pregnancy.  It does sound as if you may have a deflation and I agree that you should see your plastic surgeon without a long delay as replacement is easier for both surgeons and patients if carried out sooner rather than later.

John Whitt, MD

Warranty for breast implants

+1

Pregnancy should not affect the warranty for the breast implants. But the first thing to do will be to see a Plastic Surgeon to determine if there indeed is a 'leak'. The surgeon will advise you as to the next steps.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

See your operative surgeon ASAP or select another boarded PS who uses the same implant company, was McGhan now ALLERGAN. Yes you should be fully covered but best to be seen ASAP. 

My breast implant has ruptured, what should I do?

+1

If your size on one side has recently diminished, see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  He or she will take your history and examine you.  Usually, if the implants are saline, no imaging study is necessary to confirm the diagnosis of a ruptured implant.  If the implant has ruptured, your surgeon will open a claim with Allergan, and receive from Allergan a Return Goods Authorization that includes packaging for the ruptured implant.  They will also send a replacement device.

Upon surgical explantation, your surgeon completes paperwork describing the operative findings, and sends the ruptured implant to Allergan.  After laboratory examination, Allergan will issue a check to you or the doctor for $1200., or if you purchased Platinum Warranty, $2400. 

Because it has been seven years, you should consider replacing the unruptured side as well while you are under anesthesia.

Steve Laverson, MD

Warranty for breast implants

+1

Pregnancy will not effect your warranty. If you have a deflation, you should receive a free implant and up to $1200 towards the cost of replacement.  I believe at that time you also had the option of an additional warranty that would increase the amount they would pay in the event of a deflation in the first 10 years that would increase what they pay you to $2400. If you don't remember if you paid for the additional warranty, have your surgeons office research it by calling Allergan.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant Warranty

+1

As you know, pregnancy and nursing kids will affect the size and shape of your breasts -- this is a normal occurrence.  The best thing to do is to go see your plastic surgeon so that the office can call the company (McGhan is now Allergan Corporation) to see if you have a warranty.  IF, once you are in the operating room it is determined that you have a deflation of the breast implant, the office can send paperwork and the deflated implant back to the implant company for evaluation and if eligible for a stipend, the implant company will send that to you directly.