10 Days Post Tummy Tuck: Incision Line Discharging Blood and Burning

I saw my PS yesterday and he says there is no infection and it will heal over on its own. Today, the burning sensation is worse. In fact, the burning sensation is getting worse a little each day since about day 7. The rest of the incision line looks great . . . you can hardly even see the line. I thought I would get better each day but I feel I am going backwards :-( Does anyone suggest I do anything to speed the healing and stop the bleeding?

Burning sensation after tummy tuck

+3

You should see your plastic surgeon again.

Occasionally, sutures work their way to the surface and can generally be easily removed.

Sometimes, small sensory nerves become hypersensitive.  It is important to treat this proactively to prevent long term problems; again bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon.

Incision draining after tummy tuck

+2

After ten days you have tenderness that increases daily, and bloody drainage from a point in your incision? Sounds like an infection, and you should see your surgeon on a regular basis until things improve. Suggest a culture and appropriate antibiotics, and keep the area clean with soap and water and lightly dress the open area.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Although your concern is understandable, superficial separation of the incision line after tummy tuck surgery can occur and usually heals without  affecting the long-term outcome of the procedure.  This healing process may take a few weeks to occur. Usually, re- suturing is not necessary and may expose you to the risk of infection…

Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon (and patience) will be important. Sometimes removal of an exposed suture and/or removal of unhealthy tissue expedites healing.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the coming of procedure.  

Bleeding and Burning after Tummy Tuck

+1

This could be an infection with bloody discharge from a stitch abscess.  It could also be caused by an ingrown hair.  The burning is normal to experience after having a tummy tuck.  The nerves will be sensitive for a while post surgery. However, if you continue to experience discharge and discomfort on your incision, return to your doctor to revisit the problem.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

10 days after tummy tuck

+1

this is probably normal.  just continue to see your surgeon weekly.  remember antibiotics are not harmless either

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Incision Line Discharging Blood and Burning?

+1

This is not normal or expected. See your surgeon again for examination and advice.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ten days after tummy tuck

+1

If you can hardly see the incision line ten days after, your surgeon is meticulous, and technically adept.  You may have caught a small cutaneous (skin) nerve in the closure, which hopefully will heal and become less tender with the passage of time.  Pain has been worsening since day 7 perhaps because you are more active each day.  A drop of blood or two is certainly not uncommon along the incision line during the first couple of weeks following abdominoplasty.  In agreement with other commenters, my recommendation is to present each and every concern to your surgeon, and follow up as often as necessary to resolve problems.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy tuck incision healing issues

+1

Oozing from the scar and increasing pain can indicate a wound infection. I would see your plastic surgeon frequently until this issue resolves. The fortunate things is that most tummy tuck wound healing issues resolve without any operative intervention.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Bleeding and pain after TummyTuck

+1

I would recommend having your plastic surgeon keep a close eye on you.  A number of  things could be going on.  Difficult to determine in the absence of photos and a physical examination.

Stephen Delia, MD

Tummy Tuck is a Difficut Recovery

+1

This is normal.  When the muscle facia is sewn together this can be very painful.  This takes a different amount of time for each patient.  Listen to you doctor.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD