Can A Bad Cough 4 Months Post-Op Do Any Danger To Tummy Tuck?

I am almost 4 months post-op, all has been well. In the last couple days I got a horrible cough, ugh! My stomach has been very sore and I can't stop coughing! I'm keeping a pillow on my tummy to support, and it's not the typical 'sore' you get from coughing... just wondering if it's even possible this far after surgery to hurt anything in there?? Thanks!

Tummy tuck

+2
Your repair should be very strong by now. It would be very uncommon to have a complication involving your sutures in the muscle at this point.

Everett Plastic Surgeon

No damage caused by forceful coughing 4 months after a tummy tuck

+2

At four months following a tummy tuck, your muscle repair should be able to withstand even very vigorous bouts of coughing without causing any damage. Soreness is just caused by the forces exerted on the muscles rather than from tears of the repair. You can confirm this with your plastic surgeon if you still remain concerned.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Coughing after tummy tuck

+2

Certainly, you can have muscle soreness from coughing after tummy tuck, though by four months you are unlikely to do any damage to your result. If the cough is new, check with your doctor if things are persisting.

peterejohnsonmd

Possible to hurt a tummy tuck result

+2

by 4 months out from surgery your repair should be solid. Is is possible to have hurt the repair, yes but it takes a lot. if you are concern, I suggest you get a quick evaluation from your surgeon to put your mind at ease.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck consultation

+1

Severe  coughing at this stage is unlikely to cause separation of the abdominal wall plication. However,  it would behoove you to be seen by her family practice/internist to evaluate and treat the cause of the cough.  Long-term increased intra-abdominal pressure (coughing or straining)  may be harmful to your repair.