Costochondritis and Breast Implants

I have had relatively frequent chest pain (last 4 years , believed to be costcochondritis) and can usually control the pain with ibuprofen, but are breast implants safe for me? Was sent to heart institute and ruled out my heart as cause for pain and blood work seems to be OK as well. I really want to get implants but with frequent chest pain I am really scared. Have talked with two doctors and they both have said implants shouldn't be a problem. ????

Costochondritis and breast implants

+4

These are two unrelated topics although on ocassion can be seen together.  The real issue is for you to be able to differentiate the costochondritis from any new pains that might be associated with breast surgery during the post operative period.  I see no contraindications for proceeding with your breast surgery.  Costochondritis is easy to diagnose as it is typically reproducible by direct pressure at the junction of the costal cartilage and the rib approximately 1 1/2 inches from your sternum.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+2

If you have talked with two doctors and they were both Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, then you should feel confident you are safe to proceed forward with the risks outlined.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Costochondritis Not Contraindication To Augmentation

+2

Having costochondritis should not interfere with you having a breast augmentation.  I am unaware of a chronic costochondritis and have personally seen only the acute variety, but this is an area in which I claim no expertise.

Costochondritis and breast augementation

+2

Dear Scardycat,

Your evaluation for the source of your cheast pain has ruled out the most dangerous sources of said pain.  This is an important step towards your desire for cosmetic breast augmentation.  It is my experience that breast implants have not caused a worsening or improvement of a medical case of costochondritis in two of my personal patients.  Their discomfort has remained the same and it continues to be treatable with NSAIDs(non-steroidal antiinflammatorie medications).  

Breast implant safety with costochondritis

+2

It sounds as if you have had an adequate workup for worrisome causes of chest pain.  Assuming the chest pain you are having is related to costochondritis, I would not consider this a contraindication to breast augmentation.  I wouldn't assume that breast implants would make the condition better or worse.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/breast-surgery-utah/breast-augmentation/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon