I Am 20 Days Post Op Breast Aug and Have a Body Temp of 99.6?

Over last few days the area around my nipple has been swollen and having a burning sensation. My incision is also on the areola. My surgery was 5/3/2013 and I went from a 34A/32B to having 500cc's high profile gel in both breasts. I am slightly concerned since my body temp is running around 99.6 and I am normally 98.4-98.6. Is it likely that I have an infection? If so, does a series of antibiotics typically work for this? I am super worried. Thankfully seeing my surgeon tomorrow afternoon.

Post op fever

+1

A one degree temperature elevation is something to evaluate.  Of course there are many possible causes.  You are right in wanting to make sure it is not related to the breast surgery.  Please follow your intuition and see your doctor as soon as possible to rule out your breast surgery as the cause. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Infection of breasts?

+1

If you suspect an infection of one of your implants then you must see your surgeon ASAP. Good luck.

Increased temperature following breast augmentation

+1

With a temperature of 99.6 20 days post op from a breast augmentation, you are likely fine, but I would definitely make sure your surgeon examines you tomorrow and ensures that all is well.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Fever post breast augmentation

+1

Periareolar or around the areolar incisions are more prone to infections, but it is difficult to comment without examining you directly. You should not delay in seeing a doctor or ideally your PS without too much delay. Good luck and hopefully all will be ok.

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Fever After Breast Augmentation

+1

Typically a temperature of 99.6 is not considered a cause for concern.  Evaluation of the surgical incision site is much more helpful in determining if an infection is developing.  Any possible infection after a breast augmentation must be treated more aggressively since a man-made prosthesis is involved.  Also, peri-areolar approaches are slightly more prone to infection since the milk ducts are cut and they may harbor bacteria.  If your surgeon feels it is an infection, I'm sure he will recommend the appropriate antibiotic treatment.

Martin O'Toole, MD

Low grade fever after a breast augmentation

+1

It would be unlikely but not impossible for your to have a significant infection of your breast augmentation surgery at 3 weeks post op.   It is possible that a buried suture of your areolar incision has become infected.  It is good that you are seeing your plastic surgeon tomorrow.  He is in the best position to understand your surgical procedure and treat potential complications.  

Probably not

+1

Your symptoms are not extremely worrisome for a classic bacterial implant infection, however the symptoms of a mycobacterium infection are generally less severe. The only way to truly asses whats going on is to see your plastic surgeon. They may chose to watch your breasts, order imaging or bloodwork to help figure out whats going on.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Elevated Temperature after Breast Surgery?

+1

You are doing the right thing by seeing your plastic surgeon soon. Overall, your description of very low grade temperature elevation without other signs/symptoms of infection does not sound too concerning but only in person evaluation will give you accurate  diagnosis and/or reassurance.

Your temperature at 3 weeks post-op is probably normal

+1

Typically a temperature of 99.6 would not be considered a fever in its own right, as people aren't normally 98.6 at every minute of the day.  There is normal fluctuation in the temperature curve throughout the day.  Having said that, people can certainly have low grade temperature elevations with infections, so your wounds should definitely be evaluated as soon as you can get to your doctor.  That will really be the determining factor in whether there is infection or not.  If there is an infection, usually it can be treated very simply with oral antibiotics, but again, your doctor will be able to advise you better about this.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

+1

Infection seems not too likely, but this will not be resolved over the internet. Seeing your surgeon is the appropriate action.  All the best.