Is is Normal to Have Blood in my Urine After Tummy Tuck?

I'm 7 days post op from a mommy make over (TT BL BA) and so far everything has been going good with healing. This morning however, I woke up with my right pinky finger numb as well as a small part of the right side of my hand numb. When I went to the bathroom twice this morning I noticed a few drops of blood in my urine each time. I don't have any abnormal pain and it doesn't appear I am unusually swollen anywhere. Is this normal?

Mommy makeover blood in urine tummy tuck

+1

No, this is not normal.  If you had a catheter, you might see some blood in the urine in the first day after surgery or so.  It should not appear a week later.  You must point this out to  your doctor.  Sometimes a urinary tract infection can give you this but no assumptions can be made without the input of your doctors/urologist etc. 

The hand numbness might be related to the way you slept but it should not be related to your mommy makeover especially with you being a week out from your surgery.

See your doctor for both of these issues.  Do not consider them normal until your doctors establish that your are medically okay.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Blood in Urine after Mommy Makeover

+1

Blood in urine is likely the result of catheter placement and trauma associated with it.  Very rarely does this not resolve on its own.  A urology consult may be obtained if persistent.

Blood in Urine after Tummy Tuck?

+1

No, I would not consider it to be “normal” to have  blood in your urine after tummy tuck surgery.  I think that the most likely source of the blood may be irritation from the catheter that was likely used during the procedure. However, if persistent, you may benefit from evaluation by a urologist.

Blood in urine not "normal" after tummy tuck

+1

No, blood in your urine is not common after a tummy tuck, nor is the numbness you are experiencing.  There could be many reasons for the symptoms you are experiencing.  I encourage you to contact your surgeon who can advise you further.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Blood in my Urine After Tummy Tuck?

+1

This is not "normal" but not necessarily alarming or a sign of something trooublesome. If you had a bladder catheter, that is the likeliest cause, either due to direct trauma or to a bladder infection.

The hand findings this late after surgery suggests compression of the ulnar nerve somewhere between the shoulder and wrist, and if you awoke with that it was probably positional from sleep.

At any rate, I wouldn't write these off without reporting the findings to your surgeon who can decide what if any investigation and treatment might be warranted. 

Blood in urine after mommy make over

+1

Blood in your urine after this type of surgery would not be considered to be a normal part of your recovery. There are a variety of potential causes, most of which are easily treated. These would include irritation from the catheter if used during surgery, a urinary tract infection, or urethral irritation from a garment. I would suggest contacting your plastic surgeon immediately to discuss this.

As for the hand numbness, this is likely positional and should resolve on its own. However, I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon as well.

Best of luck with your recovery. Hang in there.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Blood in urine not normal after surgery

+1

It is not common to have blood in your urine after surgery. I would encourage you to contact your surgeon and tell them about your symptoms. Blood in urine can result from several things, including having a catheter during surgery or catheter induced urinary tract infection after surgery.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Blood in urine after mommy make over

+1

I suggest you call your surgeon. 

• Most likely, the problem is the post-op garments.
  • Irritation from the surgical girdle can cause urethral irrigation and bleeding into the urine.
  • Tightness of the surgical bra can press on nerves to the hands
  • Or you may have slept on the R side, pressing on the nerve.

But something else may be the cause. Your surgeon needs to know about your symptoms and treat, as needed.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD