Cost for Rhinoplasty (Hump Removal)?

I am going to have RS performed around end of May/Beginning of June. My Question is based off the picture I have attached,my current picture is the one on the right I would like my nose to look like that on the left of the picture , how much would the surgery roughly be. I have a hump and would like to have it removed. Also I have seen some common Q&A's, it says swelling can take up to a year. On cases where a hump is the only problem how common is it for the swelling to take that long. Thanks!

A "hump removal" is more involved than you think

+3

Alex,

The photos you included show a very nice profile result but you should be aware that all areas of the nose have to be in balance and harmony if it is to be an attractive nose.  Likewise the nose must be in balalnce and harmony with the rest of the face to have an attractive face.  Lowering the hump may make the profile view look better but lowering the hump usually makes the nose look wider from the front view.  In most cases making the nose look wider is not desirable and the nasal bones should be broken and moved inward to make it look narrower.  With the bridge looking narrower how is the tip going to look?  Will it look too wide?  All these things plus others should have been discussed with you by your surgeon.  If it has not you have not had a good consultation and I would suggest you get a second opinion.

As for as the 2nd part of your question, in general,  it does take close to a year for all the swelling to subside.  The more that is done to the nose the more it swells especially if the bones have to be broken.  However, in most cases the majority of the swelling subsides with in a few weeks and most people will not be able to tell it is swollen but you must be patient because it will be up to a year before you see your final result.  As far as the cost, it will depend on on what is done and the expertise of the surgeon.  There are very few bargins in cosmetic surgery and you usually get what you pay for.  

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Jack Gunter MD

Cost of rhinopplasty

+1

Shaving down the hump is a rhinoplasty like you said, Getting that exact result is impossible but certainly a close result is possible.  The fee will vary around the country. In NYC figure between $6000-$10000 for the surgeon's fee.

Removal of a Nasal Hump, Cost, and Swelling

+1

Dear Alex

Thank you for the pictures.  The following are a few ideas for you to consider and answers to your ?'s:

• The cost of rhinoplasty in each area of the country is a little different, but the price on the Real Self page is a good estimate.
  • After your surgery, the initial swelling will diminish over a few weeks and then the healing will continue for the year.  (Think of how your ankle looks after a sprain).
  • Although those profile pictures give a nice representation of the nose you would like to have from the side, most people you talk to will be looking at you FACE to FACE:
    • For that reason removing the hump without at least looking at the rest of your nose might give it an unbalanced look from the front.
  • Best Wishes with your surgery in May. 

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and cost.

+1

The swelling will still take a year. Sometimes removing "just the bump" causes other parts of the nose to be modified to fit your face. The cost will depend on the amount of work and the experience of the surgeon. Don't shop price-shop quality--it's not a Chevy!

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

It looks like you've given yourself a nice and realistic result on your photoshopped photos.  Swelling can indeed last up to a year, and every patient is a bit different in terms of how quickly their swelling comes down.  However, with just a reduction of the hump, you would be able to see some difference within a few weeks after surgery.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS