Cost and Recovery to Fix Broken Nose and Deviated Septum?

The cartilage at the tip of my nose is broken off from the rest of the bridge of my nose. I have a deviated septum. My intake of air has been restricted since the break. I snore so terribly I wake myself up.  My husband sleeps in guest room now. In the morning my mouth is so dehydrated I almost have to peel my tongue off the roof of my mouth. Can surgery fix my broken nose? How much? Insurance? Recovery Time?

Cost and recovery of nasal surgery

Yes, septorhinoplasty will correct your problem and should in part be covered by insurance. Usually, I charge extra ($1,000) for the cosmetic portion if insurance is billed to correct the septal deviation. If no insurance is involved the whole charge is around $5000 all inclusive.  The recovery time is about 1 week off of work.  You can resume sports in 8 weeks.  Good luck in getting your nose fixed.  It will be worth it! 

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - cost, recovery

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your nose.  If you have nasal airway obstruction, a broken nose, as well as a deviated septum - this is usually covered by insurance.  If there are fine cosmetic changes you want done, you may have to pay a small cosmetic fee.  Regardless, if your nose is causing you so much difficulty, you should definitely see a rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation.  In terms of recovery - you will likely have a cast, swelling, and perhaps some bruising for about a week.  You will probably also be very congested.  Usually after the first week, you should start to slowly feel back to normal by the end of the second week and be able to resume most of your normal activities.  It will take at least 4-6 mo to really see the final result.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Cost of nasal surgery and recovery time

When the cartilage is broken from the rest of the bony nasal bridge of the nose, it can be reset and brought back normal anatomical position. Frequently the nose is also broken and twisted inward towards the airway, which is addressed through harvesting septal cartilage and placing of spreader grafts.
A deviated septum can be also fixed, which is  performed for medical necessity. Surgery can fix a broken nose by resetting the nasal bones. This is all usually covered under a patient’s medical insurance. Anything to change the shape of the nose is considered cosmetic and has to be paid for by the patient. Recovery takes approximately two weeks. During the first week after surgery there will be some degree of swelling, bruising, and inability to breathe out of the nose.
 Please see the link below for many examples of rhinoplasty and our price list.

Fixing Broken Nose

A septorhinoplasty will repair the deformity and breathing obstruction caused by your broken nose. As long as you can document your trauma, the insurance company should pay the appropriate benefits.

The total cost is usually about $7,000. Your surgeon's office will help determine your personal responsibility. The initial healing will take 10-14 days, but the result will continue to improve for one year. Good luck! Have your surgery; improve your appearance and breathing, and then get your husband back.

Broken Nose and Deviated Septum

Hi Julia,

Yes. your insurance should cover the deviated septum, nasal fracture and any other medical problems related to your snoring.

The typical recovery time for this surgery is about 7 to 10 days. The procedures you will need include: Septoplasty -- to fix the deviated septum; Open Reduction Nasal Fracture -- to fix the nasal fracture and procedures related to your snoring.

If you are considering any cosmetic work as well the price can vary from $4K to $10K. Make sure you get computer imaging to see what your nose will look like after the surgery.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Snoring and rhinoplasty

Snoring usually has nothing to do with a deviated septum. If you have a severely deviated septum, sometimes insurance will cover this portion. It will not cover the cosmetic portion to raise your tip, refine your tip, and treat your nasal bump.

Snoring can be a sign of something else that rhinoseptoplasty (nose job) cannot fix.

As stated rhinoseptoplasty can fix the deviated septum and improve the appearance of the nose. Insurance may cover a portion of the former but not the latter.

As for your snoring, this may be due to an enitrely different problem and may even be indicative of sleep apnea syndrome, as serious condition. You should seek evaluation of this possible condition by a otolaryngologist. Occasionally an sleep study is indicated as well as special x-rays or endoscopic evaluation of the airway.

Broken Nose and Deviated Septum, Costs and Recovery Time?

Hi Julia,

Septo-rhinoplasty can fix your nose. The cost of the procedure varies depending upon the surgeon and the geographic location. Insurance may cover the functional (breathing) portion of your surgery, operating room, and anesthesiologist. The recovery time is usually 1 to 2 weeks (5 days with tape and a splint on your nose).

Your snoring may likely be improved as well as your night time mouth breathing.

Consult with experienced rhinoplasty surgeons and then choose your surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

See a Rhinoplasty specialist for fixing broken nose and deviated septum

Why have you not seen a rhinoplasty specialist? Go now, and yes MOST insurances cover a major portion if not the whole costs. Recovery approximately 3 weeks, full healing up to 1 year. Good Luck!

Rhinoplasty Surgery can be used to repair the tip of your nose, and deviated nasal septum.

Your smiling photo demonstrates a long nose, and a droopy tip. Droopiness of your tip can lead to obstructed nasal breathing. You should consult a board-certified, experienced, Rhinoplasty specialist to discuss your options. The functional portion of your surgery could be covered by your health insurance, and you may have a cosmetic fee as well to address the appearance of your nose.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon