Cost of Mini Tuck (Skin Removal Only)?

Hi, i am 30, had 3 kids. I am very fit,110lbs and 5'2 work out a lot. My issue is the excess skin under my belly bottom after my 3rd child.I have no need for lipo at all (so the doctors say) but ineed for excess skin removal(thats wht i say). Bottom line is that every doctor charges me for a ''full tummytuck'' and i feel under pressure. Is it possible to lower the price at all? Dr of first choice would pull down just the skin(no new belly bottom) and tuck it right at bikini line.Cost $6500

Costs of Surgery

+1
Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

The cost is in line with those done here in our area of CA.  This will vary some, but this is reasonable.  Here, a full TT ranges from 9K to 15K, depending on size and length of incision.  Also, the amount of muscle repair needed for correction.  Hopefully, your doctor of choice is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your history and picture I think you will benefit from a full tummy tuck operation as opposed to a mini tummy tuck.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini-tummy tuck success

+1

It appears from your photo that there is some loose skin above the belly-button as well as below.  Here at our office, a mini-tuck would address everything and anything below the belly-button, the loose skin above would not be addressed.  There really is no difference in the length of the scar nor the length of recovery.  I would re-examine your expected results and proceed with the doctor that you feel will best meet those expectations.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

The fees for a mini-tummy tuck will vary based on a number of factors including your geographical location, the skill level of the surgeon, time needed, etc. You should consult with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck

+1
I think you have to weigh results vs price I think a mini tuck combined with lipo Would get you to a more desired results You are young and your skin should retract well

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck good for few patients

+1

As Dr. Ward notes the looseness above your belly button would not be helped with a lower abdominal mini-tuck. If you do the mini-tuck you will likely be unhappy with the mini-result. A full skin tummy tuck, without the muscle tightening, would probably give you a dramatic improvement. The difference in cost between a full skin tummy tuck (with a "new" belly button") and a mini-tuck is actually smaller than you might think. Good luck!

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1

A more limited or "mini" tummy tuck could be considered in your case depending on the degree of result you are looking for. Such a procedure will require an incision nearly as long as a formal abdominoplasty, but will only tighten and improve skin appearance below the belly button, leaving the skin immediately above the belly button and in the upper abdomen still loose. This may or may not meet your expectations. Obviously, no liposuction is required , but a muscle plication may help, depending on the degree of wall laxity, That's hard to asess from the photo. In general the more limited tummy tuck requires less time than the full procedure and has a lesser fee. Hope this is helpful.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Hard to say for sure from a photograph, but it looks like you have some loose skin above the navel (as well as below it). A mini-tuck wouldn't correct that and could possibly result in a "hooded" look to the navel. From your photo, you look like a good candidate for the full tummy tuck. Your decision is whether to have the less expensive procedure that doesn't completely correct the problem or the pricier, full procedure that probably would.

James W. Ward, MD (retired)
Arlington Plastic Surgeon