Here is what we know for sure.
- Fat from liposuction can be used to augment the breast.
- The amount of enhancement is minimal to modest even with the best of techniques
- The patients who "need" augmentation the most are the worst candidates (thin patient with little breast tissue to graft into and little fat to harvest)
- Breast cysts often forms which may require additional mammography, utlrasound, MRI studies or breast biopsies.
- Most, but not all, of the surgeons currently offering lipofilling of the breasts are not trained in plastic surgery.
Here is what we don't know for sure
- The link between fat grafting, stem cells, and breast cancer development in the long or short term
- The best techniques to use for fat grafting in the breast to maximize graft take and minimize complications
- The overall safety of the procedure!!!
For most of us, there are more questions than answers. Most plastic surgeons are very capable of doing fat grafting in the breast, however few do because of these issues.