How Much Does Laser Scar Removal Cost?

I need a laser scar removal. How much does it cost? Does this really work? How do I make a consultation? My scar is on my leg and on my knees. The keloid and the other scars became black and noticeable.

How Much Does Laser Scar Revision Cost

+2
Dear Flor

Smaller scars an inch or less generally cost $200-$300 depending upon the location and the complexity of the scar. Larger scars might cost closer to $800-$1000. Keloid scars are quite complex and require aggressive treatment and therefore cost around $1800.
The reason for the expense in treating scars relates to the cost of the laser that a surgeon might choose to use. New lasers cost from $150,000 to $200,000, and require a great deal of skill and training in order to be used safely and effectively. Sure, you can go one of the multitude of spas in a shopping mall and probably save some money, but do you really know who is on the other end of the laser and what training they have had? I perform all laser treatments personally and do not use laser techs, nurses, or any other physician extenders.
The Lumenis Ultrapulse Laser that I use I use is state of the art for laser scar removal, and gives incredible results in 1-2 treatments. I also often combine laser scar treatment with platelet rich plasma (PRP) applied topically right after the laser. PRP has been shown in the medical literature to improve healing and reduce downtime. 
Keloids can be treated with CO2 laser and steroid applied topically or a new procedure known as Cryoshape. 

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost for laser scar revision

+2

There are many different treatment options for various types of scars so the cost would depend on the type of scar, location, how large the scar is, and what treatments would be necessary.  Keloidal or hypertrophic (raised) scars are treated with intralesional injections with steroids or chemotherapy agents such as 5-FU (5-fluorouracil) or bleomycin, and also with certain lasers.  Other scars may benefit from resurfacing lasers such as CO2, Erbium, Fractionated CO2, or Fraxel treatments.  The overall price can range from $75 for one steroid injection to several thousand dollars if several lasers are used and if multiple treatments with multiple devices are required for large exstensive areas.  It is necessary to have a consultation with a knowledgeable board-certified dermatologist who specializes in treatment of scars.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost for laser scar removal

+2

Plastic Surgery Pricing varies depending on geographic location and the expertise of the physician. Moreover, the prices for laser scar removal depends on the type and location of the scar as well as the type of laser used.  The price tends to range between $1000 to $5000.  If you are able to match the scar with the appropriate laser, laser scar removal can be very effective. It is important to choose an experienced surgeon who can offer different procedures (both laser and nonlaser) depending on the case.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cost of Laser for scar removal

+2

Scars are complicated and require assessment by a skin expert, either a dermatologist (www.aad.org) or plastic surgeon. The type and location of scar as well as the treatment chosen will determine the cost, and often several treatments or modalities will be required. Laser is one treatment option, but there are many other options as well depending on the scar (is it red, brown or white; is it depressed, hypertophic, a keloid?) Best to have your scars assessed in person.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser scar removal cost

+1
Laser cost depends on the size of the scar and how many treatments are needed to get the scar looking how you want. It will cost at least a couple hundred dollars, and it could cost several thousand. Lasers can help reduce scar discoloration and can help flatten contours, but there are other therapies that may be better for some scars, including steroid injection and scar revision. I highly recommend consulting with a board eligible or board certified surgeon before deciding if laser is the best option.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Laser Scar Removal Cost

+1

Depending on the city where you live the price for a small scar should range between $300-$600. Four treatments are recomended

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Scar removal laser cost

+1

Laser scar removal defines a whole class of treatments that range in cost from a few hundred dollars each session to several thousand.  I would consult with a scar removal specialist to determine the right combination of lasers.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How much does Scar Removal Cost?

+1

Hi Flor.  We get this question very often from callers that want to get an idea of what it will cost to revise a scar.  The problem is until we see the scar, we're not sure what the treatment options are.  With textured scars it could be surgical removal, laser resurfacing or even steroid injections (hypertrophic or keloid).  Whereas with colored scars, we typically opt for lasers.  

Your first step it to talk to several dermatologists and/or plastic surgeons with surgical and laser experience and get a feel for the different techniques available to you.  Having these consultations done would also give you an idea for the prices for the procedures.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Laser for scars

+1

Laser scar removal is a more complex problem than many people, both patients a physicians, realize. First there are a number of different lasers and their effect on scars is different. The degree of keloiding and the color of the patients skin must be dealt with on an individualized basis with kenalog and bleaching agents beyond the laser process. It also takes a number of treatments over time to get the best results. Get a consultation in person from a surgeon with extensive experience in the process.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers don't remove scars (in most cases).

+1

Especially with scars that are thick and raised (hypertrophic) or extend beyond the normal scar boundaries (keloids), scar "removal" is not always easy or even successful, regardless of surgeon or technique used, including laser. This is even more problematic for darker skin types, and also for the knee areas, which heal poorly in many individuals because of the constant motion of the knee joint.

Lasers do NOT provide any better excision technical advantage over a sharp surgical scalpel; in fact, lasers used to make incisions can actually create more scar tissue because of the "burn" (thermal injury from the intense laser energy) at the edges of the incision. Cold steel scalpels don't have this burn injury component. Excising keloids often lead to even larger keloids than the original!

Lasers used for resurfacing will still leave the keloid base and a new freshly wounded surface, which can heal as bad, or worse, than the original scar.

What you really need is a consultation with an experienced, board-certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon. If he or she is experienced in laser technology, then you can ask questions about this as well. Cost estimate will depend on the extent and size of the scarring, and the technique and time used; your consultation will answer this question as well. This could cost as much as several thousand dollars, or your consultant may recommend no surgery at all..

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon