Does Cost for Procedure(s) Vary from State or Region?

I have lost 150 lbs from WLS. I have two areas of concern. My breasts need lift/implants. I've gone from 40C to 34AA, have severe ptosis and one significantly larger. My 2nd insurance appeal letter was denied. I need brachioplasty. Ins will not pay for this. I have had 2 consults. Fees quoted for breast procedures $11,500 and 10,490 respectively. Arms, $6500 and 6400. I am in WV. Arms are my main concern. Are these realistic quotes? I'm considering consults in Lakeland FL where I am from.

Comparing prices

+1

Costs for procedures vary within the same state and from state to state.  Since plastic surgeons are individuals, they can charge what they feel is appropriate for the time it takes to do the procedure and the technique they use.  Your quote for the arms was $6400 and $6500 (which are almost indentical) and your breast lift quote was $10490 and $11500.  In Houston, Texas, where I practice, the fee for the arm procedure is $4000 and the fee for the breast lift is $9900.  When comparing fees with different physicians, you should know what technique they are using, how long the procedure will take and if you will have to be hospitalized.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Does surgery cost vary by region?

+1

Does the cost of an operation vary by region-yes!

In general larger metropolitan cities have higher fees than smaller cities. Prices in California and Florida are higher than some of their neighboring states. But please don't be tempted to fly cross country to save a few hundred or even thousand dollars. You want to be close to your surgeon in the event of a  complication.

Choose your surgeon based on their training not on the fee.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Fees for surgery after weight loss

+1

Fees for surgery after weight loss will vary for different regions of the country.  In NYC I can tell you it is more expensive.  Good luck.

Costs variation

+1

Costs for procedures vary with region of country, size of town and surgeon involved.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Costs do vary from region to region

+1

They vary big time, but make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Board Certified Plastic Surgeons have a higher standard of care then lesser trained surgeons. We are Board Certifed in Plastic Surgery with a JCAHO certified facility with a 40 yr. perfect safety record. We see many patients from the East coast because of our prices and expertise. An Anchor Breast lift is $5560 and Brachioplasty is $5035. We require an EKG & chest X Ray for patients over age 40 which adds $100, and 3 days in a motel near the clinic is $120, but that is your total expense.  Lawrence Foster, MD,FACS,FICS

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Fees

+1

Surgical fees vary from region to region and physician to physician.Office overhead will be different in Manhattan as opposed to Fargo.Different physicians are able to charge different fees based on a number of factors,they have their own operating rooms,they specialize in certain procedures among other factors.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Buyer Beware!

+1

As stated below, the cost of surgery definitely varies city to city and doctor to doctor because you are paying for a service and not a product.  I would encourage you not to shop around for the lowest price.  Imagine shopping for the lowest price for a haircut.  If you don't really care what your hair looks like, then this would be a good idea.  The difference, of course, is that your hair will grow back and you can try again with someone else.  With plastic surgery, the stakes are far too great (and expensive) if you go for the low-cost provider and end up with a bad result.  Also, if you find a surgeon who charges significantly less than others, you should really ask your self "why."  The answer should be obvious.

Beware that due to decreasing insurance reimbursement to doctors, a lot of non-plastic surgeons (such as gynecologists, general surgeons, oral surgeons, family practitioners, etc) are starting to do cosmetic surgery after attending seminars that are sometimes just 2 days long!  They can call themselves "cosmetic surgeons", but not "plastic surgeons."  They can even have some sort of "board certification", but again, they are not true plastic surgeons.  To be a "board-certified plastic surgeon", you need to do many years of surgical residency training and undergo vigorous written and oral examinations.  So, check out your doctor's credentials and be sure they are board certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery."  In addition, be sure you feel comfortable with the way the doctor treats you and look at his before and after pictures.  Finally, you may want to check out internet blogs to see if there are "red flags" that other patients have posted online.  Hope this helps!

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Does Cosmetic Surgery Costs differ from state to star?

+1

Absolutely, they vary from doctor to doctor also. Remember, that you are investing in your body, something you "wear" everyday. It is essential that you feel comfortable with your surgeon, have seen examples of his work, he is well respected in the community, and stands behind his work. I would not base my decision on a few thousand dollars one way or the other. And I always encourage patients to have surgery in their home state, because sometimes even with the best surgeon there are complications and it will be very difficult to find someone to take care of these if your surgeon is in another state, good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Variation in costs

+1
Surgical fees definitely vary among locations and, in New York, even among boroughs with Manhattan bring more expensive than Queens, where I practice. Variation is based on differences in rental, staff, malpractice insurance and other costs of doing business. The prices you have been quoted are very close and returning to Florida will add travel costs, additional lost income and potential complication if you need followup treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

The COST of Cosmetic Surgery VARIES from One city to another

+1

The cost of everything varies from one city to another and even within the same city. The cost of homes in New York City is quite different from those in Beverly Hills and even in Memphis. Furthermore, their cost WITHIN each locale varies based on many factors. In the case of Cosmetic Surgery costs vary with the city, the reputation and the availability of the surgeons. The best advice I can give you is NOT to go on price alone. Pick a good surgeon you trust. It is important your surgery will be done well. Having to have surgery redone is much more expensive.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN