Cost of BL/BA Revision

Hello, I am having a problem with my left implant feeling stuck - will not drop. It will move around just not into the pocket- Other than the word stuck I come up with the pocket closed up. if a revision is needed do I have to be prepared to pay for that? if so, how much money is that going to cost me? the other breast appears to be realistically where it should be at this point in my recovery. BL/BA done June 13th, 2012.

Breast Implant Not Dropping

+2

This is a very common question. Breast implants may not necessarily drop at the same time. Sometimes it may take 3-6 months for them to drop. Other likely scenarios may be that the pocket has scarred in early, not allowing the implant to fall into the pocket or that you have started to develop what is referred to as a capsular contracture early on. In either case I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon. With an in-person exam he will be able to make the diagnosis and recommend the appropriate treatment for you.

Your original surgeon, although he can not do anything about anesthesia or facility fees, will most likely waive his professional fees, which will help reduce your costs.

Good luck.

Revision of implant

+1

The fee for the revision really depends. You should talk to your surgeon to see what he can do for you.

Breast revision costs vary by location

+1

The revision rates are higher with breast augmentation and lift combined, and the cost of revision will depend on who is performing the surgery, how involved, and where the reivsion is done, office facility or hospital facility. Try to work with your surgeon, and an adequate wait is needed to see just how things sort out.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Costs of Breast Augmentation/Lifting Revisionary Surgery?

+1

Breast augmentation/lifting surgery done together does have a higher rate of “complications” and need for revisionary surgery than either one of the operations done separately. One of the problems that can occur is implant position asymmetry;  which can be corrected nicely with revisionary breast surgery.

Costs of the surgery will depend on who does the surgery;  generally speaking it is best to have the procedure done by the operating plastic surgeon ( assuming that he/she can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of surgery).  Revisionary surgery “policy” will vary from one plastic surgeon's office to another;  it will be in your best interest to have a calm/constructive conversation with your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Breast Implant Not Dropping: What to Do?

+1

First, it is not not uncommon for one implant to not drop.   Most likely, the pocket began closing prematurely on that side and the implant has had trouble dropping into the pocket your doctor created for the implant.  

The other possiblity is that the breast has started to form scar tissue, which can happen quite early after surgery.   This can be corrected surgically.

I would meet with your doctor and discuss your concerns.  Most doctors will waive their usual professional fees to assist you, but the cost of anesthesia and the operating room is a very reasonable expectation for out of pocket costs.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Bresnick

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.