Costs of Reduction From 34DDD to a Small C?

I have always been big chested. I am 23 years old and also 4'10''. I am currently wearing a 34DDD cup size. Before I had my daughter, I had no issues with my breast besides the fact that they are HUGE against my petite frame. After having my daughter, I am noticing back pain if I sit up too straight for too long or that my shoulders curve in. I would like to get a breast reduction one day when my funds are high. I would like to know how much am I expected to pay without insurance.

Costs of Reduction From 34DDD to a Small C

+1
Breast Reduction like other plastic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge $5000 + MD Anesthesia related costs for breast reduction. Without more information, it is not possible to know if insurance any part of these costs. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include: infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid).

Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best meets your needs/objectives.

Breast reduction cost

+1
Breast reduction ranges from $4500 to $6000 in Toronto, Ontario. Your procedure may be covered by insurance. Please contact your provider to find out if it is.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Sometimes, breast reduction surgery can be covered by medical insurance.  Each insurance company has it's own criteria as to when they will "approve" the procedure.  You may need to call your insurance company to see what their exact criteria are.  I see patients and take photos and submit those photos along with any other documentation that a patient may have from Chiropractors, primary care doctors, etc.(. that state that she is having pain, discomfort, etc. due to the large breasts) to the insurance company for approval.

If the insurance does not pay for the procedure and the patient chooses to pay themselves, in my office, the cost can range from $7500-9500 which includes all costs associated with surgery (surgeon, surgery center, supplies, anesthesia, post op visits).  The medication for after surgery and pathology is not included.

Cost of breast reduction surgery

+1

The cost depends on many factors and the best way to determine what it is in your area is to call several board certified plastic surgeons and ask. Insurance will often cover it if you have insurance. Again your surgeon will be able to help you determine whether your insurance will cover your surgery. And the cost should not vary depending on how much tissue is removed although it may very depending on the technique your surgeon uses.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Costs depends on location, doctor skills and technique.

+1

The cost for a breast reduction in New York City with everything included (doctors fee, hospital costs and anesthesia) will be about $12000.

Different physicians will be higher or lower depending on many variables. Higher price should not imply better quality in all cases!

Technique choice is essential. Different physicians will offer anchor scar, lollipop scars or scars only around the areola as part of the procedure. You should seek out a physician with skills in all of these choices. Make sure you see photos of all the outcomes and understand the benefits of each technique.

With the dramatic improvement in breast lift and reduction techniques, patients rarely need to get an anchor scar any longer.

Robert M. Freund, MD

+1

In MIami the costs range from $4500 to $8500 depending on your examination and mammogram findings. 

Cost for a breast reduction paid out of pocket

+1

The best way to determine what you can expect to pay for a breast reduction is to call several board certified plastic surgeons around your area to obtain comprehensive quotes. You may also want to schedule one or more consultations with some of these plastic surgeons in order to learn more about the procedure, risks, complications and more specific total cost.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

the amount removed is not correlated to the fee. however, many insurance companies expect a certain amount, about 500g per breast,  to be removed to ensure the procedure was necessary and ultimately effective. The number is a guideline and unfortunately no guarantees can be given as to coverage no matter how much or little is removed. If you are paying out of pocket, the fee will be commensurate with experience and training of surgeon as well as intangibles such as their reputation. see at least 3 doctors before settling on the one.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction may be covered by health insurance.

+1

Insurance Coverage for Breast Reduction
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

80% of breast reduction questions on RealSelf are about insurance coverage. Here are some helpful points.

1)  Insurance companies try very hard not to pay for breast reduction, even though they should. Even small breast reductions relieve many symptoms such as back pain and shoulder pain, and even some types of headaches.

2)  Very big reductions (like from an F cup to a C cup) will usually be covered.

3)  Many policies will pay for breast reduction if 500 grams (a little more than a pound) or more are removed from each breast.

4)  Some policies take your height and weight into account. So that if you are tiny, smaller reductions will be covered. Find out the details of your policy.

5)  DON'T get too much of a reduction just to satisfy the insurance company. You will be unhappy with tiny breasts.

6)  Your surgeon needs to request pre-certification IN WRITING, and attach as much evidence as possible.

7)  Evidence includes letters from your internist, orthopedic surgeon, and/or chiropractor stating that breast reduction will relieve your symptoms.

8)  Some companies require that you try "alternative treatments" such as weight loss and physical therapy first.

9)  Don't give up. If the first request is denied, demand an appeal.

10)  If there is no insurance, and you cannot afford to pay a private surgeon, go to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital. There, residents do the surgery under supervision, and the cost is minimal. In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do good work.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)