Is CosmoDerm an Effective Treatment for Facial Scars?

I read that CosmoDerm collagen injections are used for old acne scars. Does anyone know if a dermatologist would use this on a regular facial scar? It is a linear scar that is not raised, but rather indented, so I'm researching if CosmoDerm would "plump" the underlying tissue, leveling out the overall appearance. Any thoughts or prior similar experience? Thanks.

Yes but Hurry

+2

Cosmoderm is a collagen based filler and is excellent for indented acne scars, smoker's lines, lip definition, and in skilled hands, crow's feet. It is a very good choice if you have a few scattered indented scars. Numerous scarring would impel one to seek a fractionated laser treatment. 

Unlike fine lines, which are under the constant pull of muscles and lasts 4-6 months, acne scar treatment  sports a duration of 9-12 months. 

Problem is Cosmoderm and its brother Cosmoplast have been lost in the filler shuffle. So much so, that  Allergan has decided to discontinue their manufacture. Also, biting the dust will be the granddaddy of fillers: Zyderm and Zyplast. Evolence, a Johnson and Johnson product, has already fallen by the wayside. So, if you want to try Cosmoderm, you better hurry to your plastic surgeon or dermatologist's office. 

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Yes, fillers improve acne scars

+1

CosmoDerm would improve the appearance of an indented acne scar. The hyaluronic acid-based fillers, like Restylane, may be better as they last longer than collagen does. I would not recommend using permanent or semi-permanent fillers, as the appearance of the face changes over time and as that happens your physician may need to adjust the injections. You certainly wouldn't want a lump in place of your scar.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmoderm: an oldie but goodie!

+1

Cosmoderm is a great choice for acne scars that are indented, and although this dermal filler, made from human collagen cell cultures, normally lasts only weeks in wrinkles, it does last much longer in scars.

I have been using it, and its predecessor, Zyderm, for 25 years. There are other safe options as well, so talk to a board certified dermatologist with lots of filler experience.

Do your homework: not just on the product but on the qualifications and experience of the doctor as well.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Yes it certainly would although for only a few months

+1

Cosmoderm definitely would plump up depressed scars but only for a few months. You may want a longer lasting filler such as Radiesse which lasts 1 yr or artefil which can last 5 yrs or longer. If the scar is bound down tightly then your doctor would need to subcise it first which means to undermine it with a needle or blade to free up the scar and create a pocket under the scar to put the filler material in.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon