Stem Cells, Botox Cream - New Cosmetic Treatments Coming?

I am wondering what advancements are going to be popular in the near future. I've heard about stem cell face lifts and a cream version of botox. Are these going to be developed and what else could be popular?

Rejuvenative procedures with mesenchymal stem cells (msc)

+3

Adult stem cell (preadepocytes) are fairly easy to harvest and may be used for various regenerative purposes replacing temporary and permanent fillers. As it is autogenous (from your own body) there are few contraindications for widespread use in many cosmetic procedures. Because of the high technology involved the procedures are more expensive. As the costs go down it will be affordable for most people.

New things on the cosmetic horizon

+2

Creams which minimize muscular contractiton are designed to add to but not replace injections so I doubt they will provide a signficant clinical result without the use of Botox itself.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cream versions of Botox on horizon

+1

There are several good studies being done now that show a transdermal nanotechnology and novei use of certain transdermal delivery molecules attached with botulinum toxin with excellent results. I believe this and other transdermal technologies will revolutionize cosmetic medicine in the future.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

FDA and the USA medicolegal enviroment are likely to curb development of revolutionary aesthetic advancements

+1

Clearly stem cell or growth factor or DNA manipulation are the areas where the improvements are to be made. However, there are numerous concerns which are likely to effect implementation. Foremost among these are the FDA and the medicolegal enviroment in the USA. Although they may be here to protect the patient they are significant impediments to advancements in the medical field. Legititmate concerns are the control of growth or stimulatory agents. For example if you promote growth of a cell line or tissue type how do you prevent or avod stimulating the growth of tumors or cancer?

Next in cosmetic treatments

+1

Stem cell therapy is the new hot topic. The Stem Cells in fat transfer, fillers, reshapers. Very exciting times. Did you see 60 minutes talk about regenerative medicine? WOW! B