Why Do Most People Choose to Have Fillers Instead of an Actual Facelift?

are fillers for ppl who desire not to go under the knife at any time? does one need fillers or botox if they will nevr have a facelift? i dont want to waste my money cos i know as i age i will eventually get a facelift. also when it does come to fillers. what is a permanent solution? regardless of expense. as i want everything done at a young age such as implants, rhinoplasty etc etc and just freshen up every ten yrs or so with a faccelift. i already look after my skin. thanks.

Voluma to volumize your face

+1
Thank you for your question. I recommend consulting with your doctor about the facial filler Voluma. Voluma will instantly restore lost volume giving you a younger appearance. Good luck!

Ulthera and facial fillers - Los Angeles

+1

I combine facial fillers with Ulthera to give patients a very natural non surgical facelift. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Non-surgical facelift

+1

Dear perthboy,

• When clients are not ready for a surgery, a non-surgical facelift may be appropriate
  • Some people who are younger may be good candidates for a non-surgical facelift, some may not, it depends on the exam
  • Also, a non surgical facelift does not last that long (about a year with regular Botox injections)

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Fillers, Facelift, Resurfacing Procedures - How does one choose??

+1

Knowing the causes of aging will answer your question. One approach does not substitute for another and often they can be done at the same time. The most important thing is to find the most skilled Plastic Surgeon available and he/she will determine what is needed and the timing especially since you did not provide photos. Fillers and resurfacing procedures at the same time or following a Face Lift procedure makes Sense for most. There is a higher risk in smokers however.
This is because  you age by three factors - sagging (through gravity and time), loss of volume (counteracted by fillers), and skin texture (determined by environmental and genetic factors). Your fillers should enhance your effect of the lifting if placed appropriately by addressing one of the causes of aging. Most often one of these factors is more out of balance than another and therefore your procedures should customize for what is most needed. Often fillers alone can "stall" the inevitable as they only correct one aspect of aging.
Facelift and Skin resurfacing procedures (laser, Ulthera or Thermage ) and fillers are synergistic so as long as you wait until the Sculptra injection site is soft you should do fine. Not a problem and there is no problem with the timing for a facelift. Sculptra, Radiesse, Jeuvederm, Restylane, your own fat and other fillers address volume issues, resurfacing procedures corrects surface flaws associated with aging and face lifting addresses the sagging loose skin. Resurfacing procedures address skin texture, color variation (e.g. sun spots)- so all three are synergistic and complementary. It is very common in my practice to do all three approaches to rejuvenation at the same time

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fillers versus facelift

+1

Fillers are a great option to achieve revolumization and rejuvination of the face. They can enhance temples, cheeks, undereye hollows, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, the jawline, and chin.   Fillers such as Scupltra, Radiesse, Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm can be used in combination to achieve desirable results.  They are also a great option for those who don't want the general anesthesia or downtime accompanying a surgical face lift procedure. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Aging face: a role for fillers and a role for surgery

+1

Fillers and surgery accomplish very different things when it comes to facial rejuvenation. As we age, we lose volume in our cheeks, bone begins to resorb, and the collagen composition in our skin changes to lead to loose skin. The combination of loose skin and lack of structural support leads to the development of deepened nasolabial folds, marionette lines, jowls, and sagging neck skin.

The primary role of fillers is to restore volume.  These are most commonly used to soften the nasolabial and marionette line depressions that we see so commonly, but are often quite useful to smooth other areas as well.  Temporary options generally consist of fillers that are available in boxes (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, etc...). There are many different options and they last anywhere from 6 months to a year, depending on the location that they are placed and the composition of the filler. The tried and true permanent option is injection of your own fat, but even this can take a few injections to maintain the desired volume since not all of the fat cells survive each procedure.  On a similar note, there is a new option called Laviv for which the surgeon cultures the patient's own fibroblasts (collagen producing cells) from a biopsy and reinjects them into the depressions.  The company can only claim 6 months of improvement, but there are reports of the results lasting longer than a year.

Once there is the significant development of jowls and loose neck skin, fillers alone will usually not suffice.  The facelift is most powerful in revitalizing the neck and lower face by redraping the skin and resuspending the facial musculature. Although there are more risks to a facelift surgery, which might deter some patients from surgery, the results last much longer and can be more dramatic.  At this stage, patients often need a 3-dimensional approach using a combination of volume restoration (fillers or facial implants) and skin tightening to yield an optimal result.

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

People generally turn towards the fillers when they aren't ready for a surgical procedure.  It can also be due to cost, fillers are less invasive too.  As we age though at some point if you want to turn back the clock of time then surgery is the best option.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Facelift or fillers?

+1

Fillers and/ or fat transfer is for volume loss, and this loss starts occurring long before a face lift is necessary. We first start seeing it in the twenties and usually say that a person has lost their "baby fat." The problem is that you keep losing it. When we get into our thirties, we see some volume loss below our lower eyelids. Then the concavity drifts obliquely down and across the mound of the cheek. This is just the beginning. Eventually we lose most of the fat volume in our entire face and even our bone resorbs, and the skin becomes thinner. This is the volume loss that must be replaced to restore the youthful shape of our face. When fillers alone are used, it is often called a "liquid facelift." 

With this loss of volume, we lose support and our skin sags causing the nasolabial folds, jowls,  marionette lines, etc. 

Many women wait until they really sag before they seek treatment. There are those like you, however, who want to maintain their youthful facial shape, and to do this, you will need fillers, good skin care and protection from sun damage.

If someone does not want a facelift, but needs one, that is their choice. Their reasoning is usually price or they don't have time for recovery, and some people simply avoid surgery even when it is the best choice. I have had a number of patients who have seen facelift results that they feel is too obvious. I've also heard it said many times that they can spot a facelift every time. This, however, is not true when the facelift is performed properly, which usually requires volume replacement.

Before it was seen that volume replacement was so necessary, plastic surgeons were "tailors." Now we "sculptors," and both fillers and facelifts are often necessary for the most optimal result for the long term.  

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Volume restoration is the key to natural facial rejuvenation

+1

Most patients in the age-group 40+ will experience a loss of volume in the face.

This is an effect that goes "hand in hand" with normal human aging.

To demonstrate to my patients what I mean, I usually ask them to bring me a photo showing themselves 10-15 years prior to the consultation at conversational distance, this photo will usually shoe their cheekbones to be fuller and there nasolabial folds less marked.

We have made xecellent experience with micro-fatgrafting to the face, te restore volume nauturally in such areas. For some specific aspects of facial aging that brings very good results and is not very invasive.

Alexander Aslani, MD, EBOPRAS
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Osteoporosis and Fat Loss are Treated With Fillers - Liquid Facelift

+1

Recent studies have shown that as we all age, we lose volume in the bone (osteoporosis) and also in the fat pads which underlie the skin. Whether before a facelift or during a facelift procedure, the replacement of this lost volume augments facial rejuvenation. Today we have many good options for filling substances, and therefore, patients are benefitting from volume replacement at all ages.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon