Can I Have Cosmetic Surgery to Remove Burn Scar on Leg?

I have had a burn on my left leg since I was 11 years old. Now I'm 18 and in need to get it removed. What is the best way to do so? And is there a price range?

Correction of burn scars on the leg

+1

The answer to your question depends on several factors.  Please note when the scar is removed, it has to be either closed (which will result in another scar) or covered with a skin graft (which will have a slightly different color and texture than the surrounding skin).  Therefore, one has to see if it is worth replacing your burn scar with another "scar".  If the burn scar is very horrific and noticeable, then it may be worth revising.

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Burn scars

+1

Burn scars can sometimes be revised especialy if they creat a functional deformity.  But, they can never be removed completely.

remove burn scar on leg

+1

Seek opinions in person in your area. But I doubt that a well healed burn scar can be removed to a non appearing scar on the lower leg. Best of luck Dr. B from MIAMI 

Burn scars: can they be removed?

+1

Scars are visual disruptions in the dermal collagen infrastructure caused by trauma.  Third degree burns may cover large areas and therefore, cause large visible differences in surface dermal structure.  Second degree burns may leave the dermal collagen structure undisturbed, but may cause discoloration that may be visible for several years.  There are many surgical and non-surgical methods to mitigate and improve the visual impact that these scars represent, but none of them can restore the damaged dermal structures like follicles and oil glands.  In other words, "normal" skin cannot be made from scar, and you can only hope for visible "improvement" at best.  Seek an opinion by a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in treating burns before jumping into any "cosmetic" procedure for your legs.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Removing burn scar from the leg

+1

Although this seems easy to do, I would warn against doing it. Most surgeries on the legs result in unsightly scarring. There is a real risk that you could make your burn scar worse with a scar removal. I would discuss with a skilled plastic surgeon and weigh options carefully.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Burn scar therapy

+1

I would recommend serial excision or tissue expansion surgery to remove the burn scar in some cases. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS