Why is cosmetic surgery in the U.S. so expensive?

I read so many comments from U.S. Drs. regarding medical tourism and how it is such a bad idea to travel abroad to have surgery and it may or may not be true. However, my sincere question is, why do us drs. charge so much money for these surgeries, and either make it definitely unattainable for U.S. citizens to have surgery in their own country, or the expense is so mammoth that loans, and credit cards have to be taken out and applied for which leads to debt? Why isnt it not more cost effective?

+3

This really comes down to what you really believe as very little data are collected for sharing in other medical systems. The costs are higher, because there are more regulations, higher taxes, malpractice and litigation fees, marketing expenses, higher property values, higher everything, etc.

Whis is cosmetic suregery so expensive in the U.S.?

+2

The United States has some of the best training programs in the world and has rigid requirements in order to become Board Certified in Plastic Surgery. Doctors spend many years training and preparing for the Board examination in order to be ready to practice as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. While other professionals are out making money plastic surgeons are training. Setting up a practice is expensive, and rent or purchase price is high. Having quailifed staff is costly. Malpractice insurance, which many countries don't have, is very costly. Doctors will stand by their work and take care of complications, which are not often found in other countries. Plastic surgeons only use products which have been approved by the FDA while many other countries don't have the rigid FDA regulations which are to protect the patient. While some patients have goood results in countries like DR, many do have complications and have no place to turn.

George Lefkovits, MD

It's the high cost of living and running a practice

+2

Doctors in America are accountable for what they do. If you are unhappy or have a problem, we fix it or you can sue. With medical tourism, if you die -- too bad. If you have a problem, are you going back to DR? I doubt it. Sue a foreign doctor --- ha ha.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Often if you buy cheap, you may be lucky and get away with it , but often you pay for it in the end.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Cost of surgery

+2

I do doctors charge excessively than other parts of the world.

Here in the US the standard of living is high, so everything is more expensive. ( calling Plumper cost you $60 just to come) then add whatever work you need him to do. the Malpractice insurance is very high, no such insurance is needed in most parts of the world. rent, medical equipment is very high cost. The standards that my operating room and my office has to meet all the codes cost a lot.

Samir Shureih MD. FACS

sshureih@msn.com