Cosmetic Surgery After an Appendectomy Recommended? Unhappy With The Swelling and Scarring? (photo)

Hi, I had an emergency appendectomy 3 months ago. The scar is 4 inches and the area above it, looks swollen. It feels like there is fluid or fatty tissue in there. It basically looks like there is a lump under the skin. My surgeon said it would 6 months for the muscles to grow back together...if/when this happens will my stomach be flat again? I'm a thin guy (waist size is 29/30 so this lump above the scar is really noticeable. Is another surgery the only way to fix it?

Cosmetic Surgery After an Appendectomy Recommended? Unhappy With The Swelling and Scarring?

+1

Best to be seen in person by a board PS in your area. You need additional surgery to correct this. 

It is still too early

+1

Scars typically take a year to take on their final appearance.  That means it is still much too early to know exactly if you will need surgery to improve the appearance of your abdomen.  From the photos, it looks like the muscle bulge is going to be more of any issue than the scar itself.  Still, it's best to wait for now.  When its been a year or so, get examined by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon