Can I Get Cosmetic Procedures Done with Broken Nose Surgery?

I recently broke my nose and am having breathing problems so insurance is covering surgery for me. I was wondering if the surgeon that I choose can perform a cosmetic procedure during the surgery such as a dorsal hump removal. If so, would it cost me money out of my pocket and how much?

Cosmetic procedure can be done with broken nose surgery

+1

It is certainly acceptable and common to get both cosmetic and functional nasal surgery done at the same time. The broken nose and breathing problems are medically related issues and are usually submitted to medical insurance. Dorsal hump removal is considered cosmetic and that would be an out of pocket expense and any other related cosmetic work as well. The typical cost for a rhinoplasty is approximately $6,500.00 around The United States. It can be higher or lower depending upon location.

Combining Reconstructive and cosmetic rhinoplasty

+1

I would definitely combine both procedures at the same time...it is the logical thing to do.

However, the cosmetic portion of your surgery will not be covered by insurance.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Operation with Repair of Broken Nose

+1

It would be foolish not to do the cosmetic work at the same time you have repair of the nasal fractures. There will be costs to you, but discuss this with your surgeon. Do not have two separate operations.

Yes you can combine reconstructive and cosmetic procedures

+1

This is very common.  Many of my patients have combines septal work and cosmetic work at the same time.  My advice to you is that you wait an adequate time for all the swelling to heal and resolve - in my experience about 8-10 weeks after the initial injury.  You should also expect to pay for the cosmetic portion as this is not covered by your insurance.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic procedures done with broken nose surgery

+1

Nothing is for free!. Yes, you can have an insurance covered reconstruction of the nose and septum + a cosmetic rhinoplasty at the same operation. But there is a fee from both the surgeon, anesthesia, facility. These fees range from $1,000 to $5,000. Please consult with the surgeons of choice.

From MIAMI DR. B

Simultaneous functional and cosmetic nasal surgery

+1

This depends on the extent of the correction and what is being performed to treat the breathing disorder.

Broken nose and cosmetic rhinoplasty can be done together.

+1

It is frequently done in a combined fashion. Make sure you like the surgeon's noses when deciding about who should do it. As for cost, discuss this with the surgeon.

Yes

+1

When you have your nose done, weather for purely cosmetic or functional problmes, you should have all of the issures dealt with at the same time. You only want to operate on a nose  once -- get all of the problems fixed at once.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Cosmetic rhinoplasty can be done when correcting a broken nose

+1

You can have your broken nose reset with 7 days of the injury and that procedure takes literally 1 minute to do.  You would not have cosmetic procedures at that time.  If you have not received treatment within 7 days of the trauma then you must wait at least 6 weeks to have the fracture corrected.  At that time you certainly can have cosmetic work done.  Hope that helps.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Combining Broken Nose Surgery with Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, possibly.

Combining septoplasty, deviated septum surgery, or broken nose surgery along with rhinoplasty is beneficial for several reasons. First, by combining surgery, insurance may cover a portion of the procedure, and you may save money on fees. Secondly, cartilage modified from the nasal septum during the septoplasty may be used for grafts during the rhinoplasty. Lastly, the recovery process following surgery would only be once, and you minimize downtime by avoiding two separate procedures.

The exact details and decision for combining surgery is between the patient and rhinoplasty surgeon. The timing between the injury and your specific cosmetic needs is an important factor. Speak with a plastic surgeon to perform a comprehensive evaluation and determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon