Cosmetic or Medical Issue for Breathing Trouble After Sinus Surgery? (photo)

I had a in depth sinus surgery and had a deviated septum at Mass Eye and Ear in 1999 where the ENT also specialized in facial plastics. In addition to the medical treatment I opted to get a slight cosmetic revision (obviously out of pocket cost) to my nose while they were doing this procedure. It appears that now my nostrils are somewhat collapsed and I am having trouble breathing, I also have formed a slight bump on the right hand side of the bridge of my nose. should I see Cosmetic or ENT

Nasal collapse after prior rhinoplasty

+1

I'd recommend that you consult with a few revision rhinoplasty surgeons to see what your options are. You should focus on a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience repairing this type of problem.

You can learn more about revision rhinoplasty at my web reference link below.

Nose Surgery

+1

For the revision rhinoplasty, you need to find an experienced rhinoplasty expert who can maintain both the cosmetic and functional elements in mind. In this case, either an ENT or board certified plastic surgeon could qualify provided he/she has sufficient experience and expertise in revision rhinoplasty. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breathing and Appearance after Rhinoplasty--both important consideraitons

+1

The bump you see on the side of the nose near the tip appears to be something we call a tip bossa, which is the formation of a cartilage knuckle that can occur after modification of the tip cartilages and will require a revision rhinoplasty specialist to repair. It's always best not to have to choose between a nose surgeon who only specializes in either appearance or the airway, but rather one who has training and expertise in both. Your nose isn't there to only look good; it must breathe also!

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic or Medical Issue with Nose

+1

Whenever the nose is changed the surgeon must be concerned with both cosmetic and functional issues. I suggest you find a surgeon who specializes in revision rhinoplasty surgery.