Cosmetic Injections at a Hair Salon?

My hair salon has a cosmetic doctor come once per week to do injections. Is this safe?

Botox at a Salon - Bad Idea

+2

It is my opinion that a surgeon's intimate knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the muscles of facial expression make a surgeon, or a surgeon-trained and supervised medical professional, the ideal person to perform BOTOX ® injection. A plastic surgeon has, without question, the best three-dimensional understanding of facial anatomy, and therefore also has the greatest ability to perform precision injections that produce exactly the desired the effect (and that avoid unintended and undesirable effects, as well as treatment complications).

Many of my BOTOX ® patients have other aesthetic concerns, some of which are amenable to treatment with other non-surgical technologies, and some of which are surgical issues. Many are interested in discussing the treatment possibilities and in reviewing 'before and after' photographs. By choosing for their BOTOX ® injection the office of a board-certified plastic surgeon, which is fully integrated with a state-of-the-art medical spa and laser center, our patients avail themselves of the full spectrum of medical and surgical aesthetic technology.

What about 'BOTOX ® parties'?

BOTOX ® is an injectable pharmacologic agent, and is most appropriately administered in a medical setting. It is my feeling that a 'party' is not the appropriate setting for the administration of a medical treatment, particularly an injectable one. The 'BOTOX party' that is held outside of a medical setting is a marketing strategy used to promote the treatment and to perhaps make it less intimidating to the general public. Before joining the 'party', ask yourself the following questions:

. Have I been asked to provide a complete medical history?
. Have I been advised of alternative treatments?
. Have risks or potential complications been discussed?
. Have I been asked to give my informed consent?
. Will I receive adequate follow-up care?

BOTOX ®, like all other injectable medications, belongs in a physician's office. Period.

Michael Law MD

Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Raleigh, North Carolina

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic injections require a medical setting

+2

Injections are medical treatments, and should only be provided in a properly equipped medical setting. Equally important are the qualifications of the doctor performing the injections, and that you are being injected with genuine, U.S. FDA approved cosmetic injectables.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon