Can Cosmetic Eye Surgery Be Advised for a Droopy Eyelid Patient Who Had Cataract Surgery ?

Eyelid surgery after cataract surgery

+3

You can have cosmetic lid surgery after cataract surgery as long as you have healed from the surgery.  Check with your cataract surgeon to determine when it is safe to proceed.  There should be no problems in doing the eyelid surgery.  Good luck!

Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetic eyelid surgery after cataract surgery

+2

Certainly, a patient may have cosmetic eyelid surgery after cataract surgery.  With modern cataract techniques, it is safe to proceed with eyelid surgery shortly aftter intraocular surgery.  Check with your eyelid specialist to see what he or she suggests. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I have Eyelid Surgery after Cataract Surgery?

+2

Yes, as long as your eye(s) are healed after the cataract surgery and you obtain a medical clearance from your Opthalmologist, there's no reason that you couldn't have Eyelid Surgery to improve the appearance of the eyelids.

Eyelid and eye ball are two separate structures.

+2

Your cataract surgery is done on your eye itself and eyelid surgery is done on your eye lid......two separate structures. The fact that you are asking this question in the way you did suggests that you have already had the cataract surgery. I see no reason that should require you to delay eye lid surgery if you need /want it.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

+2

Cosmetic eyelid surgery is often performed after cataract surgery.  You should make sure that everything is healed from your cataract surgery before proceeding.  Also, sometimes patients develop droopy eyelids after cataract surgery and this can resolve within six months.  Therefore, if your eyelids are more droopy after recent cataract surgery, you might need to wait.  See an Oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery Following Cataract Surgery

+2

Eyelid surgery is commonly performed in people who have previously had cataract surgery. It is important that you be well healed from the cataract surgery before proceeding. However that usually does not take long. As a general rule I would wait at least 6 weeks between surgeries.

I would check with your cataract surgeon to be sure that he/she feels that it is alright for you to proceed with the eyelid surgery.

One more point: Rarely, cataract surgery can cause a droopy eyelid. If the droopy lid occurred after the cataract surgery, I would wait one year to see if the problem resolves on its own.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon