Do I Need to Have the Corset Platysmaplasty Done with Facelift?

Do you need to have the corset platysmaplasty done when getting a full facelift if you dont have platysmal banding? Will your facelift fall if you dont?

Platysmaplasty in a facelift

+4

Most patients I oprate on need a platysmaplasty to get the tightest neck and the best angularity between the chin and the chest.  I do one in 99% of mine.

Corset platysmaplasty tightens the sling

+3

No, you don't absolutely have to undergo corset platysmaplasty with a facelift. You are correct in understanding this procedure. It re-connects the splayed muscle bands under the neck and tightens the sling under your jaw. It really depends on the amount of aging in your face. Your surgeon may have noted laxity in this area, and recommended tightening the sling. It will probably improve your results and keep you looking better for a longer period of time. If your surgeon recommended having this with your facelift, I would go ahead with it.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift techniques including corset playsmaplasty

+2

Hi,

There are several techniques to improve the contour of the neck.  They include liposuction alone if the problem is chiefly one of excessive fat. This can produce a great result especially in younger patients, without much extra skin.  But in your case, where the surgeon is recommending a full facelift, there are other techniques involving skin removal and tightening the internal neck muscle (platysma). Tightening can be towards the center or pulled back towards the ears. The corset procedure generally involves tighening the platysma muscle towards the center. Other surgeons may simply prefer to tighten it from the sides.  Entering the neck from below the chin may cause prolonged swelling and irregularities, so some surgeons try to avoid that approach.

No one, strictly speaking, needs the corset procedure (with or without bands), because other techniques can handle the problem.  For example, if you do not have bands and not too much excessive skin, you might consider a MACS lift which improves the neck without entering it.  If you have a very loose neck and no bands, a more complete facelift with incisions behind the ears may be needed.  However, a corset procedure really does work well whether you have bands or not.

You ask if a corset platysmaplasty is needed to prevent a full facelift from falling.  The corset procedure does not help support the face itself.  It is just one of several procedures to improve the neck, and the question of which is best is largely related to the surgeon's experience with the different procedures and what he or she thinks works best. 

Dr. Joe Rabson

Joseph Rabson, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Corset Platysmaplasty

+1

Whether or not this neck lift technique is needed or not depends on the level or neck laxity and banding present.  I do this on the majority of my face & neck lifts

Sam Naficy, MD

Platysmaplasty, Corset or other, usually improves facelift results

+1

Most patients that I see in consultation for facelift have some neck laxity which can be improved with Platysmaplasty. Even patients who do not have neck bands or Platysmal Bands, but do have lax neck skin, can have a better facelift and especially jaw line result if a platysmaplasty is done.

It is heartbreaking for surgeon and patient to have a beautiful facelift result only to see neck laxity compared to a freshly tightened upper face-this can be avoided by doing the platysmaplasty at the time of facelift.

The best smooth jawline results are also achieved when Platysmaplasty is done.

There are rare, young patients with minimal or no neck laxity, upon whom I do a face lift with no platysmaplasty, but in my experience a majority of facelift patients can benefit from a platysmaplasty.

You dont want to go through a facelift only to have to return for a revision of the neck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Not all face lifts are the same

+1

Not all facelifts need a platysma plication. Many patients only need a small amount of neck lifting. That can be done without a platysma plication with great results. You do have to plicate the SMAS and platysma laterally to get a great neck

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Platysmaplasty is needed for neck with aging issues

+1

Platysmaplasty is a procedure whereby the anterior platysmal bands are tightened together when there are two cords present in the anterior portion of the neck. At the same time, fat is removed in the submental area both above and below the muscle. If there are no aging issues in the neck, platysmaplasty does not need to be performed. At that point, you could probably just get by with doing a tuck facelift or a mini lift rather than involving the neck.  

Platysmaplasty with face lift

+1

You definitely do not have to have a plastysmaplasty with a face lift if there is not a significant problem with banding or skin excess on your neck.  It is a very common procedure when doing a face lift, but each patient is different and some will not benefit from suturing the platysmal bands together.  I probably perform a platysmaplasty 80% of the time when doing a face and neck lift, but certainly not in all patients, and less often in younger patients desiring facial rejuvenation and a mini-lift.  Thanks for your question!

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corset Platysmaplaty with Facelift

+1

All surgery should be individualized. You and your surgeon should review alternative techniques in facial rejuvenation, discussing the advantages of each depending on your needs and goals. It is not appropriate to generalize about what should be done in every facelift operation.

Platysma Plastic Surgery to Improve Neck During Facelift

+1

Hi girlygirl880 in Illinois,

Good plastic surgeons tailor facelift surgery for the needs of each patient, as everyone is unique. Facial aging results not only from skin sagging and volume loss, but also neck muscle sagging. The platysma is a neck muscle which sags with age, and contribute to the neck banding or "turkey neck" appearance. Corset platysmaplasty, plastic surgery of the platysma muscle, can improve the appearance of the neck.

Patients who are younger with minor degree of facial & neck aging, neck platysmaplasty may not be required. Those who are older and have more degree of facial aging then may require neck muscle tightening, in conjunction with the face lift procedure. The facelift procedure should not fall without the platysma procedure; however, those who would benefit from platysma surgery generally look better when having it done.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a facelift plastic surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon