Correlation Between when Ptosis Occurs After Botox and when It Will Resolve?

I got eyelid ptosis 7 days after botox. I can blink but is closed 40%. The drops are effective. Is there correlation between when the ptosis occurs and when it may resolve. What else can I do?

Correlation between Droopy Upper Eyelid and Botox treatment

+2

It is highly unlikely that a droopy upper lid may be the only result of a stroke, Myasthenia Gravis or the onset of another neuromuscular disease. It is a lot MORE likely that the droopy eyelid is due to paralysis of the muscle that lifts the upper lid (Levator) associated with a Botox treatment.

This happens either when a small amount of Botox is injected close to the Levator muscle OR when the Botox is rubbed down or sideways into it shortly after the procedure by the patient.

Solution. Learn from this experience. Was it your injector's fault? Did you use a doctor or an inexperienced injector? Was it your fault? Did you follow the instructions you were given after the procedure.  With time and your eye drops this will resolve. But - learn from this experience.

Upper eyelid drooping from botox resolves in 3-4 weeks usually but may last 3-4 months.

+1

The good thing is that it always resolves and usually in 3-4 weeks, especially if the iopodine drops are helping.  Don't panic.  Just trust your doc and know that you will be fine shortly.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis after Botox

+1

Eyelid ptosis after Botox will usually improve in 3- 4 months. I would continue with the eye drops for now and wait patiently for it to resolve on its own. 

Eyelid droop after Botox

+1

The significant ptosis, or drop, of your upper eyelid is temporary, but this can last for a few months depending on your individual situation.  It may be related to not an excessive amount of units of Botox, but to placement of the Botox too low on the forehead near the eyebrow over the pupil line. Diffusion of the Botox can affect the levator that holds up the eyelid and the Iopidine eyedrops help contract this muscle a little to help lift it temporarily.  Another reason it may happen is if the placement is correct but the dilution is of a great volume which then makes the Botox diffuse by gravity to a greater diameter and affects the levator that way. The number of units of Botox is important but the dilution volume is crucial in some areas as this one. I have read that some doctors inject in the eyebrow to help lift but if placed in the line over the pupil, this can cause lowering of the eyelid as discussed above.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Correlation between when ptosis occurs after Botox and when it will resolve

+1

On average the longest I have ever seen the complication of Botox ptosis is 6 months. On average expect 3 months.

Good Luck from MIAMI DR. B

Here is the deal

+1

If you respond to the Iopodine drops, it means that you did not get a whopping dose of BOTOX to the muscle that raise the lid.  The ptosis will typically resolve in 4 to  6 weeks.  When the eyelid fails to respond to the drop, the ptosis can last 4 to 6 months and rarely longer.

Ptosis after botox

+1

Ptosis can occur up to a few weeks after a botox injection. The eye drops tend to be effective. Also, you can massage the upper eyelid area and continually "lift" it up manually. This may help resolution quicker. Most of the time, you have to wait. Everyone's ptosis resolves at a different rate.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon