How Would You Correect my Tuberous Breasts?

I was diagnosed with Tuberous Breasts and am wondering the best procedures to correct this and average cost. I was told by one suregeon that I am symmetrical and he suggested scoring of the breast tissue to widen it, implants and a mastopexy. I was also given a price range of about $8,500. What are your thoughts on this? I also would need aereola reconstruction (they are huge!) which he only barely touched on. How does that work?

Tuberous Breasts

+2

Other shape issues are quite common, including one known as 'tuberous breast'. Tuberous breasts tend to be narrow at the base and are overly projecting for their size, and this phenomenon may occur on one or both sides. In its mildest form, the lower pole of the breast is underdeveloped or may even appear constricted - sometimes referred to as a 'constricted lower pole'. In severe cases the breast is conical in shape and is sometimes described by the patient as looking like a 'torpedo' or a 'Snoopy dog'. Regardless of the degree of tuberosity, it is possible to dramatically improve the appearance of the tuberous breast during augmentation surgery using a number of specialized surgical techniques.

Many patients with severely tuberous breasts have said that they have never removed their bra in an intimate setting. Careful patient assessment, thoughtful planning and attention to detail during the surgical procedure can produce a dramatic and life-changing improvement for most patients with tuberous breasts.

Start by looking at many before and after photos of plastic surgeons who have had success in correction of tuberous breats.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Tuberous Breasts

+2

Thank you for your email.

Tuberous Breasts have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of Tuberous Breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary.

You should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that you will need to be patient.

The incision is usually confined to around the nipple entirely or beneath the crease, and can be very inconspicuous. The procedure involves making internal incisions to release the tight breast tissues, making a larger space for an implant, rounding out the lower breast crease, and correcting enlarged and protruding areola.

Make sure that your surgeon has experience with this specific procedure and is a board certified plastic Surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tubularbreasts.htm

Tuberous Breasts

+1
Tuberous breasts are breasts that have a lack of fullness of the lower breasts with protrusion of breast tissue beneath the areola/nipple. There are mild to severe versions of this condition. Tuberous breasts are in general are treated by surgical internal release of tight breast tissue and placement of an implant. When the condition is severe then instead of an implant being placed a tissue expander is placed. This stretches the tight breast and skin over time. Once the desired size is reache the expander is replaced with an implant. The areola can be addressed sometimes during the course of treatment. Dr ES

Tuberous bresat deformities

+1

There are several variations of tuberous breasts and they all require different things. Some may require scoring, some my require imploding the tissue through the areola and cinching it down, and some just need implants.  An exam is critical.

Tuberous Breast Correction Frequently Requires Revisional Surgery

+1

Tuberous breasts present in a wide variety of presentations but the fundamental problem is always a constricted breast base and herniated breast tissue through the areola. Release of the breast base  (scoring)and the placement of an implant (volume enlargement) done through a periareolar approach is the treatment approach. It is always a difficult aesthetic challenge and should not be confused with the more 'simple' procedure of breast augmentation alone. The  reality is that most patients end up needing a revisional surgery to get the best symmetrical result that can be obtained. You need to factor the very likely chance of a revision when managing your expectations and costs of undergoing this type of breast surgery.

Web reference: http://www.eppleybreastaugmentation.com/

Tuberous Breasts, Breast implants

+1

Tuberous breasts are best corrected by a combination of breast implant with a release of the breast tissue and nipple. This can be performed by utilizing an incision around the nipple.

Web reference: http://www.drsundin.com

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tubular Breasts

+1

Breasts that have a cylindrical shape rather than a teardrop or round shape are referred to as tubular, tuberous, snoopy dog, constricted, etc.  The basic shape of the breast is more like a cylinder with a very narrow base and a large areola (out of proportion to the rest of the breast) and a short distance between the nipple and the inframammary crease (the fold under the breast).

Corrective surgery of the tubular breast should include the following:

• Decreasing the size of the areola
  • Changing the shape from cylindrical to round
  • Increasing the distance from the nipple to the inframammary fold
  • Increasing the size
  • Correcting any asymmetry

The surgery is actually straight forward and fairly common, I perform about one a week.  The approach is different for each patient and the surgical plan should be explained to your satisfaction before proceding.  Our fee is $4,700 for saline implants and $5,700 for silicone implants. That is an all inclusive fee: surgeon's fee, anesthesia, facility, pre and post op care.  If you would need a second or staged procedure, the cost would be more.

If you are brave, you can post your breast pictures, and you will get a lot more opinions on what EXACTLY should be done to correct your situation.  Make sure you include a front and side view of your breasts/chest.

Web reference: http://www.bodybyfinkle.com

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast correction sight unseen

+1

Many think they have a tuberous breast, or have been told such, when this is not the fact. Opinions even diverge on this site. Mastopexy or breast lift is not part of a tuberous breast repair, though release of the constriction around the nipple is as the breast is enlarged with and implant. Best to get another opinion by a surgeon in your area.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Treating the tuberous breast

+1

Tuberous breast deformities come in a range of severity and symmetry vs asymmetry.  The treatments you describe sound pretty much in line with what most folks need but without photos we really can't say more than that.  Has your doctor shown you photos of other patients like yourself so you know he/she has done lots of tuberous breasts?  This is not for a rookie plastic surgeon.

Tuberous breast surgery

+1

There is great variability in patients with tuberous breasts. Some patients require multiple procedures while some require a minor modification at the initial surgery.

Web reference: http://www.breastaugmentationchicago.com