Best Correction for Botched Liposuction?

June 2010 I had lipo on my abs, flanks and back by an unqualified dr. I am now left with severe gouging on some areas, uneven belly with dips and valleys, and shelfing from one area to another where feathering was not done. I have talked to a few Board Certified Drs since with different suggestions each time. My question is what do I do to fix my mishapen body? Fat graft, more lipo to even the areas, tummy tuck to redrape skin--but the uneven fat removal still will be there even if the skin's tight.

WHAT ABOUT PROBLEMS AFTER LIPOSUCTION?

+3

LIPOSUCTION COUNTOUR DEFECTS CAN BE DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX.  ALL OF THE ENTITIES YOU MENTION ARE VALID. See 4 or 5 ABPS surgeons and get opinions including several University opinions.  Do not rush. Go little by little to correct.  Start with simple lipo, Vaser smoothing ,and fat grafts in one area and see how yoiu do.  Go step by step.  Yes, sometimes a tummy tuck is the only solutionm for the abdomen.  Good Luck.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Revisional liposuction surgery

+3

I am sorry to hear of your experience.  Unfortunately, your problem is quite common.  In the interest of saving money, many patients incur problems that cannot be fully corrected. 

You are best off consultating a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in revisional liposuction procedures.  the surgical plan should be logical and reasonable.  You cannot make another mistake.

Correction of your problem may involve revisional liposuction, tummy tuck surgery, body lifts or fat injection.  A board certified plastic surgeon is best qualified to perform all these procedures.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Fat grafting and liposuction may help

+2

i am sorry that you have a bad outcome. please send picture for better evaluation. I would recommend combination of the liposuction and fat grafting to even out the depressed area.The other treatment is Endermologie post liposuction to even out the tissue.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+2

You failed to post any photos, so very hard to advise. But I would offer a series of operations using all the mentioned types from you. People ALWAYS ask the qualifications of the surgeon!! Hard lesson to learn!! From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski

VIDEO: botched abdominal liposuction fixed with a tummy tuck at 6:15

+2

There is no defined treatment plan for botched liposuction and therefore you are receiving muliple recommenations. I am attacing a video of a botched liposuction fixed with a tummy tuck at 6:15

"Botched" liposuction, is it correctable?

+2

Sorry to hear about your surgical misadventure. I see about 2  patients per months with the exact same complaints that you are describing. It looks like someone was "off roading" on your abdomen. These problems are difficult to correct, might take more than one surgery and it will never be the same as if you would've had it done correctly the first time. I am always amazed that when people are going to buy a car, they test drive it, look around, come back and drive it again just to make sure they are not making a mistake. On the other hand, they give their one and only body to the lowest bidder! Which is the costlier mistake? You need to go beyond just asking if your surgeon is board certified. You need to know and verify that your surgeon is a plastic surgeon or he has priveleges at a hospital in doing liposuction not just in his office. I see deceptive advertisement on the internet daily with liposuction "surgeons" being family practitioners to dentists and any speciality in between. On the bright side, you can get improvement in these areas by skin excision, further liposuction and/or fat grafts. Fat grafts do not always work well in overly scarred and contracted tissues. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

These issues can be addressed with more liposuction and fat grafting were needed.

+2

Dear Jessica

Of course we do not know the particulars of the surgeon who you choose.  Please be aware that even board certification in general plastic surgery does not make a surgeon a great liposuction surgeon.  Board certified general plastic surgeons can have problems with the performance of liposuction.  The two specialties that do the bulk of liposuction procedures in the United States are board certified dermatologists and board certified general plastic surgeon.  Dermatologists as a group have an amazing safety record when it comes to liposuction.  However, what you need is a surgeon who is in the business of fixing these types of problems.  You need to seek out this type of surgeon, it might be a general plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.  As there are a lot of options, what you need is a compassionate surgeon with an interest in helping you reach your goals.  Given your time frame, it would not be unreasonable to wait a full year from your original surgery to being this process.

Botched liposuction

+1

There are not a lot of easy options but there are options. Potentially more lipo to correct some areas, Fat grafting to add volume possibly a tummy tuck. The bottom line is that you should take it slow, and not expect someone to solve your problems easily.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Dents from liposuction are difficult to correct.

+1

Dents from liposuction are difficult to correct. I have seen dozens of these cases referred to me over the years and have found that a combination of careful liposuction of the edges of the dents using very small cannulas, combined with fat injection into the dents typically improves the problem.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting liposuction contour deformities

+1

This can be a very difficult problem to correct and may take more than one procedure. You have taken the correct first step seeking out a board certified plastic surgeon. Many patients may require a combination of additional liposuction and fat grafting to correct the areas that you do not like. If the areas are in your lower abdomen and you have enough excess skin, a tummy tuck may be a potential option. Without any pictures it is difficult to assess. Best of luck.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon