Scar Reduction for Growing Scalp Scar?

I have a scar forming across the back of my head and would like to minimize the growth of the scar. What treatment or procedure should I seek?

Injections with a steroid may work without surgery.

+2

See a qualified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine if the scar is a keloid or hypertrophic scar. If it is spontaneously getting bigger it sounds like a keloid. If so, they may respond and "shrink" with steroid injections. Others can be excised and injected with steroids at the same time.

Scar on the lower part of the scalp above the neck can be problematic.

+1

Scars that are the product of inflammation of the hair follicles on the nape of the neck can be very difficult to treat.  Revisions, steroid injections, and even radiation are alternatives.  You need a good plastic surgeon on this one.

Scar revision may be helpful depending on type and location

+1

Depending upon the location of the scar and the type, scar revision might be helpful. This could cover the area with hair and makes things less noticeable.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scalp Scars within the hairline: Practical guidelines for keloids, hair loss

+1

Typically, scars that occur on the scalp fall into three categories:

• Alopecia: Loss of hair
  • Thickened scar with hypertrophy
  • Keloid scars

Alopecia, or hair loss can be treated with excision of scar or hair transplantation to reduce the prominence and noticeability of the scars. Thickened scars or keloid scars are more difficult to treat. Thickened scars can be improved, very much like keloid scars, with kenalog injections. They can also be excised.

Keloid scars can become extremely difficult to treat. They are best managed non-surgically by keloid injections. Surgery90210

Start with the Basics

+1

Hi Toby -

I am assuming that you had a laceration or cut to the back of your head and are seeing scar formation from that.

If so, did the initial injury require sutures / staples to close? Was any other treatment necessary?

From the info you have provided it sounds like you may be developing a keloid or hypertrophic scar. There are many treatment options for this ranging from Kenalog injections to Surgical Revision.

Best to have a Board Certified Physician take a look at things and determine exactly what is going on so you can get the best treatment option for you.

Thanks,

Dr. Jafri

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.