Is Correcting a Crooked Nose a Difficult Procedure?

Because I know at least 2 incidents that the surgery was unsuccessful and their nose is still crooked and they have a hump in one side. What I wanna know is why is this difficult to achieve ?Is it because the crooked nasal bones aren't too much mobile or the blame is on the surgeon ? Which procedure would you classify as more difficult, straighten a crooked nose or a typical rhino (aka hump removal and correcting of the open roof) ?

Correcting a Crooked Nose

+3

Correcting a crooked nose is one of the most difficult  rhinoplasty operations that we do. I think it is so challenging because there are multiple different connected structures in the nose that must be individually straightened and aligned to achieve the perfectly straight symmetrical result.

Crooked nose repair

+1

Crooked nose repair is one of the most difficult maneuvers we perform during rhinoplasty.

Part of the difficulty in straightening a crooked nose is that the cartilage and bone of the nose have memory. This creates a situation where the bone/cartilage that is out of place wants to revert back to its original position.

There are several techniques that we can use to address this. Regardless, perfect symmetry is always difficult to achieve with any surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/blog/post/before-and-after-crooked-nose-rhinoplasty

Correcting a Crooked nose

+1

Generally speaking, straightening a crooked nose is a very challenging procedure and it is essential to have a specialist perform your surgery. It is important to have realistic expectations, as it is difficult to obtain a perfect result where the nose is 100% straight. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Crooked Nose Correction

+1

A crooked nose is one of the most difficult problems in rhinoplasty surgery. The problem is that the structural elements of the nose, i.e. the nasal bones and the septum are out of alignment. These all must be fractured and reset properly to straighten the nose. The cartilagenous part of the septum also has a tendency to go back to its original curve like plastic and reverse the results over time. It takes great experience to fix a crooked nose and get long lasting results.

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Correcting a crooked nose with Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult things to achieve.  Cartilage has memory and may continue to remain deviated despite Rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty should be used to make your nose more aesthetically attractive and may not make it even or straight if it starts out crooked.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Crooked Nose Rhinoplasty

+1

Absolutely. Rhinoplasty is a challenging procedure even in the most experienced hands.  Correcting the crooked nose is particularly challenging for a couple of reasons:

• There is a cosmetic deformity--the nose is twisted
  • There is often breathing difficulty as well

The difficulty in this particular situation is that the patient is looking for both cosmetic improvement and functional improvement. Add other medical problems (smoking, diabetes) or prior surgery on the nose, and the level of difficulty is compounded.  Depending on the particulars of the surgery, it may be difficult to get a "home run" in both categories.  However, if you go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, you should expect significant improvement in both function and appearance.  Please feel free to view some crooked nose rhinoplasty before and after photos at my website VisageCenter . com

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose correction/rhinoplasty

+1

yes - correcting the crooked nose as a part of rhinoplasty is difficult.  choose a well trained and experienced plastic surgeon.  one of the keys to correcting the crooked nose is attention to the the septoplasty.  often i approach the severly crooked nose (due to prior trauma or prior failed surgery) with an open spetoplasty approach.  This allows full visualization and modification (with sutures, scorring, and grafting) of the remaining L-strut. 

Crooked noses

+1

Crooked noses are very difficult to correct completely. For instance, the septum is cartilage and even when the cartilage is bent, sutures, portions removed, the cartilage has a basic memory and wants to bend back into the same position and this can sometimes happen,  I always tell patients I can make it StraighER, but nor perfectly straight all the time.

Correction of Crooked Nose

+1

The correction of a crooked nose ( which I take to mean a substantial deviation after trauma ) is a difficult procedure in many instances. All crooked noses are not the same. There are two issues ,the first is the presence of scar which may distort the anatomy and  more importantly may recur after surgery, and the second issue is damage to the various anatomical parts which often occurred at the time of the trauma.  Rhinoplasty is also a difficult operation even in the best circumstances. 

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurg.org/plastic-surgery-chicago.html

Correction of a Crooked Nose

+1

Correction of a crooked nose takes two forms: 1) correction of a previously straight nose which has been traumatically altered, 2) a congenitally "off center" nose.  Although both circumstances present challenges for the most experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons, it is the latter that present the most difficulty.  A congenitally crooked nose often presents with the nasal spine (and the hence the line between the upper incisors) off center from the nasal bones.  This situation can be be camouflaged, but is very hard to correct.  Likewise, deflection of the dorsal septum usually follows this "off center" line and repositioning does not always lead to a perfectly straight line.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon