Best Way to Correct my Weak Chin/jaw

I'm 23 years old, looking to get a stronger chin to better balance my face - what would be the best possible way to do this? Thanks.

Weak chin

+3

Your photos reveal a deficient chin.  Either a chin implant or an advancement genioplasty will work.  I personally like the genioplasty due to its versatility and no foreign body other than the titanium plate.  It also allows correction of vertical dimension problems and asymmetry.   All incisions with the genioplasty are intraoral.  Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Nunn

Improving a Weak Jaw with Chin Implant

+2

Hi Anonymous,

Small or receded chins are relatively common. While more appropriate for a woman, small chins are usually not ideal for a man. Chin augmentation is normally combined with rhinoplasty or face lift surgery, or done alone. Chin treatment options include the following:

• orthognathic surgery - teeth are aligned, upper & lower jaws are broken, and both are brought forward
  • sliding genioplasty - lower jaw chin bone advanced, without teeth alignment
  • chin implant - material placed in front of chin bone, typically silicone

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and each is not appropriate for everyone. Silicone chin implant is the most common procedure to augment the chin and improve the jawline. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photo, you appear to be a good candidate for Chin Implant Surgery.

+2

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. A well-performed chin implant surgery may provide a stronger appearance of your chin and jawline. Surgery is well under an hour, and downtime is less than one week in most cases.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and Jaw Augmentation

+2

Hi,

From the photos you posted, it looks like you have a weak or retruded chin, so a chin implant will help in this case. Its difficult to evaluate your jawline but jaw augmentation would widen your jawline.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Chin implant to augment a weak chin profile

+1
To augment a week chin profile, a chin implant is inserted through a sub mental incision. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, which is best determined at time of the examination and consultation. The implants are composed of Silastic, are inserted through a sub mental approach  usually under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. 

Chin Augmentation Options

+1

Choosing between Chin Implant and Orthognathic Surgery/Genioplasty
Good Candidate Criteria for Chin Implant
Without an exam  your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are  helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. . Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.
Intended Result
Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.
The augmentation is performed with a sterile, biologically inert implant (such as silicone or Medpor) which is placed over the bone of the lower jaw so it feels like your real chin and not like a separate implant.
A wide range of chin implants are available, depending on the patient’s needs and goals. These implants vary in their dimensions and are made of different materials. The proper selection of the correct size and type of implant by your plastic surgeon is critical for you to achieve the look you want.
It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, or ENT or Oral Surgeon experienced in this procedure, to aid you in selecting the implants and insertion methods that will give you the best possible result

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin enhancement

+1

Judging from the pictures a chin implant surgery would work fine for you. A personal consultation would help to clarify if this is the best way to go. It's a relatively simple operation with a quick recovery and not very expensive.

Arturo Guiloff, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon