To Correct for Undereye Hollows with Fat Transfer, is It Necessary to Have an Arcus Marginalis Release to Avoid Bulging?

I am a 24-year-old female with hollows under her eyes due to genetics. I want to correct these hollows with fat transfer. However, as I can see by my mother, now that she's aged, she has bags under her eyes with what appears to be a tethering of the arcus marginalis to the bone. I worry that if I want to transfer fat to this region that this will not correct the problem but rather, create a bigger bulge under my eye. Can someone tell me if fat transfer alone can be a good option? Thank you.

+1

No, the arcus release is not necessary. Fat transfer requires fine deposites to reduced lumpiness. Fillers are more predictable.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation of Lower Eyelid Hallows

+1

You do not need a release of the arcus marginalis to augment the lower eyelid hallows. I frequently use micro-droplets of fat. If the patient and I decide to use fillers, I prefer Restylane because it absorbs less water than other fillers and therefore limits the amount of post-treatment swelling.

Genetic under eye hollows -- don't release the arcus marginalis!

+1

No.  I don't think that you need to have a surgical procedure to release the arcus marginalis in order to treat the under eye hollows.  Where did this idea come from?  Do realize that although lots of folks are having this done, this location for fat transfer is prone to lumpiness and the occasional unhappy patient.  I probably would try a filler.  Personally, I would recommend Silikon 1000, but I am sure there will be oothers with different opinions.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon